Adding Weight to Headstock

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    clarkefan said:
    I'm not following this.  Are we saying, you get eg a heavyish metal clamp, screw it onto the headstock, and the sound coming out the speaker sustains longer and changes tone?
    Yes. Not always longer sustain though - it could be *less* if the resonance is changed in a way that doesn’t help. ‘Different’ rather than ‘better’.

OK, it was an acoustic guitar, but just a few days ago we demonstrated this to a customer in the shop who was having a problem with feedback. Just putting a capo on the headstock made it far less bad. Really!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited March 2019
    I'm pretty convinced that neck resonance and rigidity is one of the most important factors in how a guitar plays.  As noted you can do things to shift the resonance but it really depends on where it was to begin with.

Regarding the headless thing, my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is that by not having a headstock the neck should be even stiffer.  Headstocks tend to be wider and thinner than the neck so are relatively 'flappy' for lack of a better term.  Some basses e.g. US Fenders and Sadowskys are deliberately built with thicker headstocks specifically to help the response of the neck.
  • https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Roger_Sadowsky_A_Vintage_Man_of_Modern_Means

"Premier Guitar: I have to ask why do you make the headstock thicker? 

Roger Sadowsky: I have found that mass on the headstock improves tone and eliminates or lessens dead spots. In fact, I have found that lightweight tuners will make dead spots worse. "

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    ICBM said:
    clarkefan said:
    I'm not following this.  Are we saying, you get eg a heavyish metal clamp, screw it onto the headstock, and the sound coming out the speaker sustains longer and changes tone?
    Yes. Not always longer sustain though - it could be *less* if the resonance is changed in a way that doesn’t help. ‘Different’ rather than ‘better’.

OK, it was an acoustic guitar, but just a few days ago we demonstrated this to a customer in the shop who was having a problem with feedback. Just putting a capo on the headstock made it far less bad. Really!
    Head blown :)  

Now I'm wondering if people buy sets of different size clamps to "tune in" on the right weight for each particular guitar :)

I'm laughing and at the same time thinking, Amazon...
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Had to laugh at this Amazon review for the Fender Fat Finger:

Anyone know what to look for in B&Q etc. that would do the same job without the cost?