Xotic boosters.

What's Hot
markjmarkj Frets: 914
lve had a few ep boosters but what about the AC booster and RC booster. Are these good pedals in the endless choice of boosters / pedals. Any advice would be great. I’m after a low drive pedal that can thicken up my tone.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17648
    tFB Trader
    AC booster is more of a mid gain overdrive.

It's nice but not well named.
  • ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 234
    For some reason I thought RC = really clean and AC = almost clean, is that correct?  

The Soul Driven pedal is very nice indeed, expensive new but a few pop up on eBay from time to time
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    edited March 2019
    I have an AC+ and an RC.

The AC+ is actually quite a bit different from the AC (and not an 'AC plus an RC' as is often thought). Definitely an overdrive rather than a boost, thick and chewy on the 'red' channel, cleaner and more compressed and middly on the 'blue' channel.

The RC sounds like it might suit you - has gain and volume and can be squeaky clean to slighly crunchy, active bass and treble to sculpt the tone. It reminds me of a cleaner, more flexible eq tubescreamer - it has a compression and 'flavour' - and I suspect the entire range are tweaked tubescreamer-type circuits?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    The AC is useful because of the active EQ. I'd class it as a low to medium gain OD.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    edited March 2019
    Watch the old Allen Hinds' videos as he used the RC, AC and BB a lot and that's their order of increasing gain, too.

There are variants of each (the Plus series, signature versions) and the RC V.2 has an extra gain/boost side and that might work for you. However, it sounds as if you're leaning more towards and AC, which has been described as Tube Screamer-esque, but without the mid-hump. The Timmons BB is good in the low gain ranges.

The EP Booster is fantastic as a solo boost (volume hiker) or for pushing an amp or pedal or as a 'leave on pedal'.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    AC Booster is an overdrive.  RC Booster is a clean boost that can do light overdrive with the gain at maximum.  I really like the RC Booster.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    I've used the RC as an always on pedal. It just gives you that little bit extra in your tone.
    It's also a really good solo boost pushed into another drive pedal.
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    The rc booster is transparent also. I mainly used mind to match my strat up to my les Paul when playing live. 
    To be honest though the rc,bb and ac are all great pedals. I think there are some demos done by JD Simo which show them up well.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1059
    RC has been my 'always on' for years. Its a great pedal.
  • Think I’ve asked this many times but has anyone ever stacked two or three EP boosters? and would it just be a huge woolly mess?
  • I had one and preferred it over my old RYRA 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5175
    I haven’t tried the Xotic originals, but of the mooer clones I loved the Pure Boost RC clone and didn’t go much on the AC clone 
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3991
    I was just looking into these initials yesterday, opinion seems to be sharply divided between Almost Clean, Really Clean and Blues Breaker, and Rig Conductor, Big British and AC just being as in Vox.

Neither of those options are brilliant what with the BB not sounding like a Bluesbreaker (either the pedal or the amp), the AC not being almost clean and also not sounding like a Vox particularly, and Rig Conductor not really making a great deal of sense.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    edited March 2019
    Think I’ve asked this many times but has anyone ever stacked two or three EP boosters? and would it just be a huge woolly mess?
    There's a video of Allen Hinds using 2 EP Boosters, however, I can't recall if he stacks them, but I do remember him using different settings via the internal dip switches and having them placed before and after Overdrive pedals