What to look for in a guitar teacher?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876
    57Deluxe said:
    I prefer to go to the teacher personally.

p.s. am I expected to bring my own guitar?
    haha - I have actually had ppl start and have no instrument and expect one on loan!!
    I got all the equipment covered and then some.  Have enough to start my own band!

So what should I put in my email, going to email a few

1 - Do I come to your place or studio
    2 - Bring my own equipment? (I don't think I will bring an amp, may be the THR10)
    3 - Tell him/her the kind of music I listen to.
    4 - What are the lesson structure like?
    5 - How much per hour.
    that sounds about right :) They should probably have a spare amp so wouldn't worry about that. I'd also point out to them that that it's for your personal enjoyment, rather than wanting to join a band/gig etc (I normally ask what people want/expect to get out of it). Maybe also check that they can cover theory in general (but that should really be a given)...but then again, that's all stuff you can cover when you meet. Cancellation policy also worth checking on. 
    Do they pay as you go or do I have to pay like 10 lessons at one time?

im thinking either my THR10 or I have a small Fender Champ clone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah ask how they charge, if its lesson-by-lesson, in blocks of 5, 10 etc etc. Usually its cheaper to book in blocks if a discount is offered and you're more likely to stick to it and turn up every week, but if you're looking around at a few tutors then do trial lessons or whatnot.
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2177
    Interesting thread. Can anyone recommend a decent guitar teacher in Oxfordshire?
    Maybe it would be handy to have a section here where teachers can be recommended / offer their services by geographical area, based perhaps on the experiences/knowledge of fretboarders?
    I've looked at lessons now and then - I sure need them - but its a bit random as to who is out there unless you get lucky, I suppose. Easy to chuck away money looking for a good teacher I would imagine. 
    That would be great. I’m really surprised there’s not already a section on here for it. 
    Agreed, is it possible to set this up. There is one fo luthiers, should be one for tutors too. 
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    Nice legs .I 'm shallow.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Barnezy said:
    Can someone answer the question as to why guitar teachers constantly feel the need to remind you how good they are by noodling some ridiculous riff or solo way beyond your capabilities? Yes, I know you’re good, that’s why I’m paying you £35ph to teach me something, stop wasting my time and money showing off.

I do get a bit tired of these competitive geek guitarists, who spent all their teen years in their bedroom playing scales, and now they feel the need to show you what they can do. No one cares. You’re in your 30’s and you’re not exactly competing with John Mayer in a debate about who’s the greatest guitarist of our generation. It’s like a Conference League player, turning up at a Sunday league match and doing keep-ups, to show how good he is compared to those around him, but never actually made it himself. 

Sorry rant over...

I would look for someone mature and who has a structure they follow. But it comes down to how you like to learn ultimately. For me, I want someone to sets me a task and then reviews it at the next lesson. I’ve had teachers who just wing the lessons and wouldn’t have a clue what you did the week before with them. You still might pick some things up from them, but for me it’s not progressive enough. 

I never did that, afaik. I was more interested in the structure of what was being taught, which I felt was the distillation of what had got me to the point where I felt I had something with which I could instruct others and get them to where they wanted to be.

I felt I couldn't teach without a guitar in my hands, but mostly I was trying to get the student to try stuff - practical, but with a sound theoretical basis.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I didn't insist on 10 lessons paid for all at once, just on payment with booking. Book n lessons, pay for n lessons at the time. n >= 1, natch. 48 hours notice to reschedule, less than that you lose your fee if you don't show.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Don't get impressed by their guitar playing; look for an enthusiasm for, and ability to teach.

I've had 5 teachers over the years. The 2 best players were by far the worst teachers. Egotistical arseholes.

Structure's important in the early stages, but I found that later on, you can learn in a more freestyle way.
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 847
    martinw said:
    Don't get impressed by their guitar playing; look for an enthusiasm for, and ability to teach.

I've had 5 teachers over the years. The 2 best players were by far the worst teachers. Egotistical arseholes.

Structure's important in the early stages, but I found that later on, you can learn in a more freestyle way.
    I agree with this, structured lessons work great for people that don’t know what they want to learn as much. If a student is keen they’ll be learning things by themselves especially with YouTube and things these days.
    If they turn up and have questions about new things they’ve seen or heard and you can’t adapt the lesson to teach them what they want that week they’ll soon go and find another way of learning it.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/