Connecting Helix to the speakers in a combo amp

What's Hot
CleckoClecko Frets: 295
edited March 2019 in Amps
Hi all. I know there's been a lot of discussion on this, but I have a specific question that I've not seen answered.

I'd like to connect my Helix to the 2x12 speakers in my Marshall Bluesbreaker combo, effectively using it as a passive speaker cab with the amp switched off. I would audition FRFR speakers, but I don't really want anything else in the sitting room.

So I think the ideal is a Fryette Power Station or similar, which would act as a power amp into the speakers when using the Helix and also double up as an attenuator for the Bluesbreaker when going the pedals and amp route, which would be great for my neighbours and four-year-old.

However, before committing to the sort of cash required for the Fryette, I'd like to give the setup a go on a lower budget to see if I like the general vibe. So my question is whether anyone would recommend a power amp that I could use to try it out on a much more entry-level budget.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Why not just connect it to the normal input with it set clean? That’s a pretty good power amp :). Unless you want stereo... but the Fryette isn’t.

If you do want to try a mono power amp, any second hand PA head in the 100W range will be fine and usually under £100 these days, even less if it doesn’t have XLR mic inputs.

Based on recent experience I would steer clear of the Fryette, by the way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BenBen Frets: 114
    How about a EHX .44 Magnum? I was using that with the Helix before I caught an offer on a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170, and it was great!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Once tried my helix in to the front of my JTM45 and it really didn’t sound very good at all
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    edited March 2019
    I used the Helix into the FX return of my Victory V30 and it was great. Why not just do that instead of adding another bit of kit  - you just want power and the Bluesbreaker has that 

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26595
    Ben said:
    How about a EHX .44 Magnum? I was using that with the Helix before I caught an offer on a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170, and it was great!
    For what it's worth, I've tried quite a few power amps - including a couple of valve power amps and three valve heads using the effects return - for my Helix (into a 2x12"), and the Powerstage resulted by the best noises by a country mile. I suspect it's the active EQ, but whatever they did with it...it's magic.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    John_A said:
    Once tried my helix in to the front of my JTM45 and it really didn’t sound very good at all
    What settings did you use? Just curious, I've always found the non-MV Marshalls very good with pedals and preamps in front. You need to dial out the mids and up the treble and bass though. (Or on a JTM45/Bluesbreaker probably not so much bass.)

Vaiai said:
    I used the Helix into the FX return of my Victory V30 and it was great. Why not just do that instead of adding another bit of kit  - you just want power and the Bluesbreaker has that
    The Bluesbreaker doesn't have an FX loop.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

@ICBM ; 
    I see - this could be an issue :)

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    I bought a Quilter Mini 101 for a similar purpose with the intention of running my AX8 into the effects return and then out to a cab.
    It also means I have a compact back up solution when using my valve head and also the option to run a wet/ dry or stereo set up with a combo. With so many possible uses, it seemed pretty good value even though I had to buy new.
    ICBM said:

The Bluesbreaker doesn't have an FX loop.
    Vaiai said:

I see - this could be an issue :)
    Although it could be fitted with one, probably for less than the cost of a attenuator - and certainly for less than a dummy load/re-amp 'attenuator' - which may solve both problems because when using it as a normal amp, you could then put a volume box in the loop and allow the preamp to be overdriven while controlling the final volume.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16099
    Go and buy a cheap Peavey Classic or Blues Classic ......they are as cheap as chips .....£275 ish
    I put a Kemper and a Helix through the Loop and it sounded even better on some patches than a top of the range Redsound frfr...........it's a win/win .........you get a very decent Bassman type amp into the bargain 
    I'm looking to get a Katana but mainly to run Helix in the loop but also to have as a backup. When I get the chance tho - Helix into PA direct is glorious :) I tried a few FRFR options but don't like it (lo/hi pass and changing EQ to make it more in the guitar range etc) - I'm getting the Katana as it is a guitar speaker, considered a valve combo but then I'd have no FX and I'm lead guitarist in the band so need a range of sounds for 3hr gigs!

• CleckoClecko Frets: 295
    Thanks guys - some good feedback to think about here. The EHX Magnum 44 looks like it could be a really simple and inexpensive foray into this, and a handy thing to have in the bag of tricks to boot. Looks like the SD Powerstage might be worth trying if I like the Magnum but want betterer.

@ICBM - interested to hear about your experience with the Fryette as that would be quite an expensive mistake to make!

I'd rather not buy another amp for the same reason I don't want an FRFR speaker and, though I can see the benefits of adding a loop to the Bluesbreaker, I'd prefer to keep it stock. 

The Helix does sound good going into the front of the Bluesbreaker, but half the fun is playing around with the amp models. 

Thanks for all the responses  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Clecko said:

@ICBM - interested to hear about your experience with the Fryette as that would be quite an expensive mistake to make!
    I’ve worked on two. The first one had an unsecured and not properly insulated spare voltage tap wire which could have been potentially dangerous as well as blowing fuses, and the second has an output transformer fault caused by poor manufacture - still awaiting being resolved.

There’s also a cap which is badly under-rated for the voltage which is applied to it and is a failure risk.

Not impressed.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    ICBM said:
    Clecko said:

I’ve worked on two. The first one had an unsecured and not properly insulated spare voltage tap wire which could have been potentially dangerous as well as blowing fuses, and the second has an output transformer fault caused by poor manufacture - still awaiting being resolved.

There’s also a cap which is badly under-rated for the voltage which is applied to it and is a failure risk.

Not impressed.
    I had a lot of problems with a Fryette 50W stereo power amp- it kept blowing fuses all the time.
    ICBM said:
    Clecko said:

Not impressed.
    That's pretty decisive for me. Thanks a lot for letting me know. Thanks @octatonic, ;too. 
    Really appreciate all of the info and input here. I have a Seymour Duncan PowerStage on the way.