South West Jam - Factory Studios (Bristol) Edition - 8th June 2019

What's Hot

Comments

• mrkb said:
    I’ve got kick and snare mics - 1 of each, and a small mixer if you need to create a drum mix
    I do have a small mixer, but prefer to keep the drum mics on separate tracks in the recordings. 

If needs be, I'll combine the vocal mics, as it's mostly going to be one vocal anyway. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Looks like I may be able to make it now. Our friend messed up passing on the Metallica tickets and the group he was going with sold them before he could send them over. At least we hadn't booked anything! We are still planning on going away but I'm hoping I can push it back a week so I can come to this. I'll find out tonight and hopefully confirm/pay once done. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    I'll come - money sent 
    Red ones are better. 
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    attendee list updated - welcome @TimmyO! ;
  • Want to ask about what gear to bring - bring our own pedals or do we share and use whatever is in the main room?

The latest TGP has got me thinking about making a small board with 4-5 pedals suited for the songs I'll be playing.

Should I bring an amp?

I'm looking forward to trying other folk's gear, but also it's a change to use my guitars and pedals higher than home volume for the first time. I'll bring my Strat and Vintage Lemon Drop.

• VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    edited April 2019
    OK I'm good to come I'll send the money over later. Happy to help out with stuff; I do all the widdly stuff if anyone wants pointers etc., more than willing to help. Gear wise I'll be bringing a Vigier and a Strandberg plus an AX8, got various others I can bring if anyone is interested (floral Jem, old swirly Universe and a fretless). Will start thinking of songs...
    @MagicPigDetective - as an inexperienced player, I feel that I have a much better understanding of my rig precisely because I have taken it along to the three jams I have attended so far (in fact it confirmed, to my ears at least, that I am totally happy with my amp, but that I needed to change a couple of pedals).

The above works for jamming in rehearsal rooms. In the main studio it has mostly been convention to have dedicated amps that everyone uses for 'performance' purposes. There is usually more debate on whether or not we should use dedicated pedalboards (to limit downtime caused by swapping out boards, finessing levels if we are recording, etc) or have everyone use their personal boards for their 'performance' songs. A practical consideration is that it is usually impossible to arrange the playing schedule to allow everyone to perform all their chosen songs back-to-back. 

This seems like an appropriate point to kick off the "who will be bringing what" conversation - in my case I'll be bringing my PRS, Matchless Lightning Combo and pedalboard (Budda Wah, Origin Effects Cali 76 Compressor, Crowther Hot Cake Overdrive & Way Huge Aqua Puss Delay)  
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I have a Deluxe Reverb Reissue and/or a JMP 2204 clone I can bring if needed
    @Vibetronic - great news! - attendee list updated 
    Have added myself to the list of attendees and ask all those currently only listed as organisers to confirm if they would like to do the same - this means you can nominate songs, and also that you agree to pay subs!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    MagicPigDetective said:
    I'm looking forward to trying other folk's gear
    That sounds like an activity for the informal room.

MagicPigDetective said:
    it's a change to use my guitars and pedals higher than home volume for the first time.
    Alnico can probably probably guide you through setting your controls to suit stage volume.

MagicPigDetective said:
    I'll bring my Strat and Vintage Lemon Drop.
    This information is useful. If the majority of attendees will be bringing the usual suspects (LP, SG, 335, Tele, Strat, Superstrat, pointy shapes), I could make a point of bringing something that is not any of those. e.g. Jaguar, Vela or S2 Singlecut with Winterizer II pickups.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12368
    At water rats @soma1975 put together a pedal board which was on the lead guitar amp and stayed all the way through and worked really well. 
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    In, just paid :)  Thanks @Brocco :)  And thanks also for the list of potential songs, plenty of choice there, looking forward to this :)
    Here's welcoming @clarkfan as a paid up member of this exclusive club!

Don't forget to suggest some tunes yourself.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    MagicPigDetective said:
    I'll bring my Strat and Vintage Lemon Drop.
    This information is useful. If the majority of attendees will be bringing the usual suspects (LP, SG, 335, Tele, Strat, Superstrat, pointy shapes), I could make a point of bringing something that is not any of those. e.g. Jaguar, Vela or S2 Singlecut with Winterizer II pickups.
    Well, I was planning to bring the jazzmaster in my avatar, along with a fretless jazz bass. So you won’t need to cover all the weirdo stuff yourself. ;)
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    @Brocco - my attendance confirmed....funds coming shortly...Ill fill the musical director slot and play on some stuff too.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    Superb!

Please chip in with your song suggestions
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6822
    edited April 2019

OK, current song suggestions listed here on googlesheet and spotify playlist here:-

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/152258/2019-bristol-south-west-jam-song-list-discussion#latest

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Cars - just what I needed....
    Any Thin Lizzy...China town, Jailbreak etc...
    Bowie - Ziggy, Reel rebel etc.
    Clash - should I stay ...
    UFO - rock bottom

Loads fo others to come...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    @munckee - good to know, thank you. Definitely something for us to consider.