SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Looking for a rare(ish) Vox AC30HW Limited Combo. 2003/4 built by Marshall

What's Hot
robmac5150robmac5150 Frets: 181
edited March 2019 in Amps £
I had one circa 2006 and like a fool sold it and always regretted it. It's just in the unlikely event any of you kind souls know of one. There is one on Reverb in Austria but its out of my price range and country !!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    The one your after is the Korg era and quite correctly made under license by Marshall in the UK. They pop up quite often and can be had for around £800. Guitar Guitar seem to get a lot of AC30's in so keep your eyes peeled on their used section. Good luck with your search I will keep an eye out for you :)

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1445
    edited March 2019
    The one your after is the Korg era and quite correctly made under license by Marshall in the UK. They pop up quite often and can be had for around £800. Guitar Guitar seem to get a lot of AC30's in so keep your eyes peeled on their used section. Good luck with your search I will keep an eye out for you
    The OP is talking about a limited edition handwired model which isn't the original AC30 top boost circuit:

http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/ac30hw.html

The ones popping up quite often are the Marshall built Korg reissue, fine amps in their own right but they're PCB built. These are the original AC30 top boost circuit.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skayskay Frets: 394
    From memory, I think there were only 250-300 of these amps produced worldwide, but I have seen a few combos and heads for sale on eBay over the past 10 years or so.

I have one which I bought new in 2004, (it's the amp in my avatar pic) and it's been my main live amp ever since, only ever needing a new speaker after a crazy loud gig!

I'm always reading how they don't sound like a real AC30, and I guess they could be described as having a more Marshall-esq roar when turned up loud, but that's exactly why I love mine so much.

Good luck tracking one down, they are fantastic amps when you get the chance to open up the volume a bit, it's the best 'room-filling' amp I've ever heard.

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

• robmac5150robmac5150 Frets: 181
    thanks all. much appreciated
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    I’ve had two and they both broke...and neither sounded very AC30 ish. I haven’t seen one for sale for a long time.

I know you have your heart set but maybe consider something from Bad Cat or Matchless as well? Maybe the Vox Brian May as well if you can cope with the single knob :)
  • robmac5150robmac5150 Frets: 181
    edited March 2019
    Matchless totally fab. Had a Chieftain (appreciate its a not a DC30) and loved it but I got it for a decent price and they seem to have gone above my budget but would certainly consider one at the 'right price for me'. There is a strong element of a trip down memory lane I wholeheartedly admit.