Wait for a Marshall sv20 or buy a s/h1959hw with attenuator??

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
i’ve been holding out to try the new Marshall studio vintage and classic heads , but looks like it might be some time before I get my hands on one. .

meanwhile someone not too far from me is Selling an immaculate Marshall 1959HW and Weber mass 200. 
I might go over and try it anyway, but I wondered if it might be worth getting this instead of waiting for the Marshall sv20 .

i was trying to downsize , but I’m super tempted.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    edited March 2019
    Depends what you're after but I actually prefer the 20w. Feels like it has more gain maybe due to the fact you actually get it going and I prefer the more compressed feel. The 1959 is actually quite a clean amp I think, compared to others anyway. I'd rather just carry around the 20w head than a big plexi plus attenuator.

The 1987x is better than both of them though
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    If you can't wait, just buy a 1987x or a JTM45.

The 1959 does sound great - but it's huge, heavy, fairly expensive to re-valve, and the Weber is not really the ideal attenuator for it in my opinion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• kossofffankossofffan Frets: 549
    My 1959HW has a Granger master volume kit installed and a 3 way bright cap switch (original/without/220mfd) on the rear panel. It runs into a 4x12 and is my only amp, only used at home daily!

My 1959HW has a Granger master volume kit installed and a 3 way bright cap switch (original/without/220mfd) on the rear panel. It runs into a 4x12 and is my only amp, only used at home daily!
    I hope that's 220pF! 220mF (even if you actually mean uF, which is a thousand times smaller) would effectively bypass the volume control completely at all frequencies :).

500pF is my favourite value, but I also like 100pF as was used in the 'Organ' version (model 1989 50W, don't think they ever did a 100W one), so I'm sure 220 will work well. Stock is 5000pF.

220mF is 220,000,000pF ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Yes it is, wasn't sure how to write it. lol
    I thought it's 4700pF stock. I sure mine is

I thought it's 4700pF stock. I sure mine is
    Yes, that's the same thing effectively - 47 is the standard tolerance-centre number instead of 50, used on modern components. Originals used one actually marked as 5000pF, I think it changed around 1980 but it might have been a bit earlier.

Thanks, everyday’s a school day, for me at least!
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2162
    The used 1959 HW. 

Not even a decision to make in my view. 
    Plus it's already dumped all of its money, so you can sell on later with very little risk of losing out. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom