P90 or humbucker

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    clarkefan said:
    Sassafras said:
    I don't much like humbuckers so I'm bound to say P90s.
    They can easily handle heavy rock as well as more subtle forms.
    Not in my experience they can't.  You could argue they have a place in the neck position, but rock is a bridge position sound.

What's wrong with the P90 bridge sound? That's all I usually use. Sometimes I'll use both pickups but hardly ever the neck on its own.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72557
    P90s sound great for heavier rock, but if you’re gigging be prepared for them to be unusable noisy in some venues. Not all by a long way, but you’ll probably come across one eventually. Make sure you have a spare guitar with humbuckers or at the bare minimum, a hum-cancelling middle position.

I don’t mean a little bit of hum and buzz which no-one will notice when you’re actually playing, I mean noise which is as loud as the guitar sound, especially when using any kind of distortion. As Phil said, that’s why humbuckers were invented in the first place...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31648
    Does the noise thing still happen? I've been gigging P90s and other single coils for 40 years in thousands of venues in half a dozen or more different countries and have never had a noise issue, apart from what you'd expect from standing too close to a loud amp. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72557
    edited March 2019
    p90fool said:
    Does the noise thing still happen? I've been gigging P90s and other single coils for 40 years in thousands of venues in half a dozen or more different countries and have never had a noise issue, apart from what you'd expect from standing too close to a loud amp. 
    Yes, it does. There's at least one venue in Edinburgh - and another one which is now closed - where all single-coil pickups are literally unusable without standing at a very exact and awkward angle on stage. I've played in both, so I would now never have a gigging guitar without at least one hum-cancelling setting.

In fact, all my guitars and both basses are now fully hum-cancelling, even though they look like they have single coils.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    Anyone tried the Railhammer P90s? Very interested in the Huevos 90.