Long chip Boss DD-3 or DSD-2? Which to buy?

What's Hot
builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
So I’ve seen a couple of these on Ebay
Trying to work out which one to buy? Are they similar in sound?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    As someone that’s owned a DSD2 for 25 years, I’d say it’s a superb delay unit. The sampler thing is a bit gimmicky but back in the day I did use it in conjunction with a cheap drum machine as a trigger to create a very interesting rhythm track.

What you need to remember is that digital delay isn’t ‘cold and sterile’ as some will say - and those of us old enough to remember jettisoned our analog units as soon as we could afford these sorts of pedals because they could produce far longer repeats, with greater clarity. Where the DSD scores highly is the a/d and d/a converters inside it give a bit more character than other pedals of the time. Plus the repeats ‘sit back’ a little better than other digital units of the time.

As for comparison with the straight Boss Delay - I can’t help, as I’ve never owned both but I’m told they are similar by those who know. But tbh, I’ve never felt any need to discover for myself.

Ive never been without my DSD since I bought it - and at one point I had two on my board (one short delays and the other for long). These days, it still gets used although my Boonar and Ocean Machine are on my board and the DSD is just a recording toy.

I hope that helps
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    As someone that’s owned a DSD2 for 25 years, I’d say it’s a superb delay unit. The sampler thing is a bit gimmicky but back in the day I did use it in conjunction with a cheap drum machine as a trigger to create a very interesting rhythm track.

What you need to remember is that digital delay isn’t ‘cold and sterile’ as some will say - and those of us old enough to remember jettisoned our analog units as soon as we could afford these sorts of pedals because they could produce far longer repeats, with greater clarity. Where the DSD scores highly is the a/d and d/a converters inside it give a bit more character than other pedals of the time. Plus the repeats ‘sit back’ a little better than other digital units of the time.

As for comparison with the straight Boss Delay - I can’t help, as I’ve never owned both but I’m told they are similar by those who know. But tbh, I’ve never felt any need to discover for myself.

Ive never been without my DSD since I bought it - and at one point I had two on my board (one short delays and the other for long). These days, it still gets used although my Boonar and Ocean Machine are on my board and the DSD is just a recording toy.

I hope that helps
    Thanks for your response, you’ve just helped fuel the GAS. 
  • Also after watching this it’s pretty much made up my mind 

https://youtu.be/boSRQgJKtWQ
  • Finally a Boss DSD-2 is on the way from the fantastic Joes Pedals really looking forward to this one
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    I picked up a dd3 v1 long chip off eBay a few weeks back. Dated from 1986. It’s really fantastic. Sounds more analogue than digital. I had a dd3 back when I first started guitar back around 1990. Loved that pedal, wish I’d never sold it. 
    So I was pleased to pick the long chip up!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 339
    Just bought a DD-2 - same chip - and adore it. As others have said, it manages to be digital and yet analogue in character. Best of both worlds.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6090
    I’ve tried both and I preferred the DSD-2. Nothing greatly different from DD-3 but I liked the sweep of the pots better on DSD-2, seemed more evenly spread. There was a time when I wouldn’t be without a long chip delay - such a great tool for rhythmic delay styles, repeats sit perfectly under the guitar or bass - but since changing to semi acoustic, analog voicing seems to work much better for me.