Does a tube screamer with a switchable buffer exist?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    edited March 2019
    Grocer_Jack said:

Oh this is interesting - I have a Les Lius as the last drive before whichever delay I'm using - EHX Canyon (set on trails mode - that's buffered isn't it?), DD5 or Carbon Copy. I haven't noticed anything odd. The Canyon and DD5 have buffers yes? Or is it just SOME buffers?
    It's exactly *because* it's followed by a buffer - so it sees the same load regardless of whether the following pedal is on or not - that it works properly.

The problem occurs when the pedal is followed only by true-bypass pedals all the way to the end of the board, then a long cable to the amp. When all the other pedals are off, there is a lot of treble loss, mostly caused by the cable. Turn any one on, and it's immediately restored.

If the Les Luis and other similar pedals had a single transistor buffer after the volume control - and before the switch, it you want to keep it true bypass - then this problem wouldn't occur. That's why it's badly designed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarblasterguitarblaster Frets: 383
    edited April 2019
    Hey guys! Just an update on this incase anyone is googling something and comes across this! I got to try a friends MJM London Fuzz, another germanium fuzz and it is definitely also more trebly with a buffer after it when engaged in my rig. Again not 100% why that is but that’s it! From this I have learnt that I an indeed Eric Johnson but with no talent! 

Hah and I’ve solved my problem with a compressor with switchable buffer!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom