Amp drive or pedal

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    Thanks everybody ....iv always used amp drive and love it but starting to wonder iff anyone cares or even notices.....i am thinking smaller places or mic,n up it would make sense with pedals to keep the noise down ....another reason i ask is iff playing festivals and stuff where amps are provided i suppose a pedal would make sense cos you would get close enough to the sound your after by just plugging a pedal in 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    I've always used pedals, but sometimes with amp overdrive as well - never usually more than moderate crunch from the amp though, I just don't like amp high-gain sounds. If forced to choose one or the other it would be pedals and a clean amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4148
    I'm an indie kid at heart, so it's always been about an amp just past clean with a couple of pedals for dirt. I'm hankering for some vintage Marshall dirt lately, but even then I'm angling towards something like a Revival Drive rather than buying an amp specifically for that sound.
    I recently considered buying an amp with a Marshall flavour. In the end I bought a pedal instead - a Tony City Model M. Cheap as chips, does a lovely Marshall impersonation.

I'm surprised we still haven't had a little lunchbox JCM800-like from Marshall yet. Seems such an obvious product. Though when they get round to it they'll forget the effects loop or something obvious like that.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    I like pedals (plural so I can select drive types) into a clean amp, or an amp thats cooking without much audible distortion. Yesterday I was at rehearsal and the other guitarist was using an ashdown combo, he was unhappy with his drive sound and asked about my pedals. So I think that demonstrates that some amps just don't drive nicely no matter what you do. Pedals are little more consistent amp to amp, but nothing is guaranteed.
    The hunt for suitable drive pedals is the start of a long process, but when you find something you like, stick with it.

• FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 577
    For my rig it's pedals. My main amp is a Cornell Romany who's clean tone is heaven and loves pedals.
    That will change when Thorpy's FX Plexi arrives.
    There are many things which can influence the set-up. It depends on your gear. I've no preference.
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Epi LP Custom
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4148
    I picked up a Digitech Hardwire SC-2 Valve Distortion not long after they stopped making them. It sounds so much like a good amp it's ridiculous. Wish I'd bought two when I had the chance.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    Single channel amp on the edge of breakup and then pedals in front.  If you just crank the amp, the distortion often gets a bit nasty sounding - apart from the problems you get from the noise police.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6095
    Tried lots of drive pedals but never found one I like as much as a P90 pushing a clean valve amp.
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    In the past, I've used amp for a nice, crunchy overdrive, and pedal into clean for tight, controlled metal distortion. Having watched a few videos recently though, I'd like to look at something like a Tube Screamer to shape the tone of amp overdrive. Sounded great on an Andertons video, but every time I've tried it, it's been a mushy mess.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14315
    edited March 2019 tFB Trader
    Certainly not a definitive answer

How loud the amp is and the size of venues you are playing at come into play - And are you mic'd up

Personally I prefer the amp to be on the edge of overdrive, then clean it up by rolling of the guitar vol pot - Then utilise 2 different overdrive pedals - One for more subtle rock/blues overdrive like a crunch stage - One for more hi-gain 'solo'

Feel this option offers more control and usable at any volume setting from a small gig/rehearsal to a larger venue - The above gives you the option of -

A) - Amp - clean with guitar rolled off 
    or B )  Amp - crunch/light gain with guitar on 10

Then add pedal 1 or pedal 2 to the above A or B amp setting as required
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    we had this thread presented to the Forum only a few weeks back and constantly being asked to vote on it again and again will not change my resolve!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Pedals allow you to find the exact thing you’re after. 

For me its a Deluxe Reverb with a Klon KTR driving a Keeley 1962x. 
  • Bluguitar amp for me 4 different channels with boost on all chanels plus built in power soak. 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2329
    FastEddie said:
    For my rig it's pedals. My main amp is a Cornell Romany who's clean tone is heaven and loves pedals.
    That will change when Thorpy's FX Plexi arrives.
    There are many things which can influence the set-up. It depends on your gear. I've no preference.
    Wait what....so the @ThorpyFX I noticed on a video is plexi inspired?

For me, I like either lovely Fender cleans/very slightly overdriven with pedals/pedals/pedals....it's just like a black canvas. Plus Fender cleans are lovely.

I do have an Orange Dual Terror which has some excellent mid gain grunt to it...so there is an option for that...plus a pedal to push it. 

I don't think I've ever owned a high gain guitar amp...
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    I think it depends a lot on the amp, the guitar and the pedal as to which combination sounds best. For example my guitar with the volume on 8 you don't get much drive, however roll it up to 10 and things start happening. The quality of drive with a pedal will depend on the pedal - some are better than others in achieving a decent tone, some just make a noise. I've also found the EQ is very important on a pedal. Often the trebble needs a boost to help it cut through. Finally the amp setting can affect the drive considerably. I would suggest getting a quality drive pedal (OCD / Thorpy or similar) and try various settings on the guitar / amp / and pedal until you get the sound you want.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Amp dirt for me mainly. Use a fuzz on occasions though which is different of course ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Traditionally I always used pedals into a clean amp. Then from 2001-2012 I used an amp with a Boss sD-1 pushing it.

Bit now I’ve gone back to using a JFET Distortion. But mine is low noise. As it runs at a higher voltage. It feels very amp like and not too overgained. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4238
    I tend to play at low volume so for me it’s pedals into a clean amp....an “always on” pedal which gives a little bit of hair but which cleans up nicely from the guitar, and then another acting as a second stage for higher gain sounds.
  • Custom Deluxe Reverb set to only just breaking up. Splitter for lead sound on the other channel.

Old early 90s RAT for switching to heavier sounds, recent cheapo Klone for switching to a vintage-style, slightly more broken up rhythm.
  • Both, but if I had to choose, it would be pedals into a clean amp.