Why is it ...

What's Hot

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6062
    mbe said:
    I'm a stickler for tuning accuracy, but electric guitars are meant to be played in a band and then any inaccuracy in tunings/intonation blends in.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    JezWynd said:
    mbe said:
    I'm a stickler for tuning accuracy, but electric guitars are meant to be played in a band and then any inaccuracy in tunings/intonation blends in.

He had to stop though Simon. He must have thought it was time for a tune up. =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    ICBM said:

It might also be worth thinking about Earvana nuts - some people find them an improvement over a standard one. @FelineGuitars can advise...
    The other option is what PRS do.  They use a conventional nut, but have a slightly shorter distance to the first fret than the theoretically correct distance.  This does help compensate for the fact that you make it slightly sharper when when you fret a note.

It's not as accurate as things like Earvana, but it does seem to help a bit.  PRS did have a patent on that, but I'm sure it has expired by now.

Also, check that you aren't pressing too hard on the strings.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    What ever I do, something always sound wrong.
    You are The Phantom Fretboard Strangler and I claim my five Pounds. :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    It's just the case that equal temperament is a compromise - no guitar can be perfectly in tune for all chords.

The posts suggesting the OP is doing something wrong or there's something wrong with his guitars must just not be as picky about accurate tuning as he.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    I always tune the low E and the G slightly flat. If you want to avoid the strings "beating" against each with a gain you may want to drop the top E a few cents too. 

You need the nut slots to be a perfect depth before you do anything though, and depending on your playing technique may want to move your low E bridge saddle back a touch too. 

I'm very pitch-sensitive and can generally pull a guitar in tune as I play it to reasonable extent, as long as I leave the cowboy chords to the cowboys. 
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    It's Jazz, accept it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10697
    edited March 2019
    thegummy said:
    It's just the case that equal temperament is a compromise - no guitar can be perfectly in tune for all chords.

The posts suggesting the OP is doing something wrong or there's something wrong with his guitars must just not be as picky about accurate tuning as he.
    Yes that’s probably part of it. Your frets are equal temperament, meaning that fret zero to fret 5 is a slightly wide perfect 4th, therefore your strings should also be a slightly wide perfect 4th. 

Try tuning your guitar like this:  

Recommended methods
    If you tune all the strings to the same reference string, you can avoid a small error on one string affecting all the others.

Tune the high E string to a reference: compare
    5th fret E on the B string: adjust B
    9th fret E on the G string: adjust G
    14th fret E on the D string: adjust D
    7th fret E on the A string (one octave below); adjust A
    5th fret harmonic on the low E string: adjust low E.

http://www.truetemperament.com/tuning-methods-evaluated/

someone on here had a good method referencing G but I can’t find it. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BenSirAmosBenSirAmos Frets: 411
    The 'well-tempered clavier' is a compromise and is, therefore, inherently out of tune - as is all Western music. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    edited March 2019
    crunchman said:

The other option is what PRS do.  They use a conventional nut, but have a slightly shorter distance to the first fret than the theoretically correct distance.  This does help compensate for the fact that you make it slightly sharper when when you fret a note.
    Technically it's not because you're pulling it sharp - which you won't if the nut is cut low enough - it's because the strings are not perfectly flexible where they leave the nut groove, since they're not 'ideal' theoretical strings with no thickness. This makes the string slightly stiffer at the nut and causes the note to play flat... which since that doesn't happen as much with a fretted note, means that in order to remove the difference, you need to move the nut forward slightly to sharpen the open strings relative to the fretted ones. This was actually known about long before PRS - in fact Hamer were doing it in the 1970s - so I'm not sure how they were able to patent it. (Although that applies to many other patents too!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• as others have said, your nuts too high...... could try playing sitting down.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    I find my Les Paul isn't the best for staying in tune..but it could do with a setup.

Saying that, now the weather isn't as cold, it has held up much better and the new-ish string have had a stretch now. 
  • I had anger inducing tuning issues with my natural burst SG Standard 'Twas beautiful looking thing but I couldn't get the fecker to stay in tune, it would go out of tune by just looking at it, not down to intonation it was definitely a nut issue at the time.  
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27005
    viz said:
    thegummy said:

Yes that’s probably part of it. Your frets are equal temperament, meaning that fret zero to fret 5 is a slightly wide perfect 4th, therefore your strings should also be a slightly wide perfect 4th. 

Try tuning your guitar like this:  

Recommended methods
    If you tune all the strings to the same reference string, you can avoid a small error on one string affecting all the others.

Tune the high E string to a reference: compare
    5th fret E on the B string: adjust B
    9th fret E on the G string: adjust G
    14th fret E on the D string: adjust D
    7th fret E on the A string (one octave below); adjust A
    5th fret harmonic on the low E string: adjust low E.

http://www.truetemperament.com/tuning-methods-evaluated/

someone on here had a good method referencing G but I can’t find it. 
    I do similar but tuned to A: 

1. Get A string in tune
    2. Tune low E to the A with 5th/7th harmonics
    3. Tune D to A with 5th/7th harmonics
    4. Tune G based on A string 12th fret harmonic against the G fretted at 2nd fret (relies on your nut being cut perfectly, otherwise this bit will fuck you up)
    5. Tune B 5th fret to A string 7th fret harmonic
    6. Tune high E to A string 7th fret and low E 5th fret harmonics 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    The OP needs to get his guitar fitted with an Earvana nut.  Or better still the BFTS.  Try an Anderson and you will know at once if the BFTS solution to your problem has been found.  I understand that Feline guitars have Earvana nuts fitted.  Another possible solution to your problem.  A slightly cheaper option is to get your guitar professionally setup, the factory fitted nut is often cut very high which causes some chords and strings to sound out of tune, despite the guitar being in 'tune'.  Oh and to be certain your guitar is in 'tune', get yourself a Peterson tuner.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    ICBM said:
    crunchman said:

Technically it's not because you're pulling it sharp - which you won't if the nut is cut low enough - it's because the strings are not perfectly flexible where they leave the nut groove, since they're not 'ideal' theoretical strings with no thickness. This makes the string slightly stiffer at the nut and causes the note to play flat... which since that doesn't happen as much with a fretted note, means that in order to remove the difference, you need to move the nut forward slightly to sharpen the open strings relative to the fretted ones. This was actually known about long before PRS - in fact Hamer were doing it in the 1970s - so I'm not sure how they were able to patent it. (Although that applies to many other patents too!)

It does seem to help.  I played once with a guy who is a professional concert pianist in his other job.  He commented on how in tune the PRS I was using at the time sounded. Does anyone know how far PRS move the bridge?  I'm going to Crimson next month to build a guitar, and I'm wondering whether it might make sense to do this with the nut.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    It's not that the tuning drifts. I try to get all the octaves right: between the 5th and 2nd strings, between the 5th and 3rd strings, the 6th and 4th, the 6th and 3rd, the 3rd and 1st, the 4th and 2nd ... and that makes some of the 3rd intervals sound crap and the 5th intervals aren't too clever anyway. Usually they are flat, as required by equal temperament tuning but even when "right" they are still wrong!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    edited March 2019
    as others have said, your nuts too high...... could try playing sitting down.
    @midlifecrisis; have a LOL, grinning ear to ear! 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    crunchman said:
    Also, check that you aren't pressing too hard on the strings.
    Harsh but fair. Whenever my brother came around and we played a bit together, despite whatever instrument he played, his open D chord was always really out of tune because his left hand was tense as a crazy tense thing. 
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Do you have perfect pitch? Apparently it can be a nightmare rather than a blessing for this sort of reason.