Tim Shaw humbuckers - how to identify and what are they worth?

ricorico Frets: 1220
I have a mid-80s LP Studio that 'should' have Shaw humbuckers in them. Does the below pic look like a Shaw humbucker? If so, what are they worth (not eBay dreamer prices, realistic money!)?

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14312
    edited March 2019 tFB Trader
    They normally have a 6 digit ink number on them - normally in 2 sets of 3 - see below

There are various number patterns used for the ink codes

The 2737842 stamped code is correct - They can still be Tim Shaw's without ink markings - But what meter readings do you have - TS are normally around 7.5 - 7.8K ish as a guide line

Image result for tim shaw pick ups

Prices have been rising - I'm not sure they are as good as the hype - Certainly not rubbish - But I dare say if you are selling them, then you can join in with the hype - I've seen prices £100 to £150 per pick up and even more

Early LP Studios - I've seen both with Shaw and 490's or 498 and 490's
    tFB Trader
    Sorry - should have added - Later mid 80's to around 86/87 often had no ink markings - Only the 2737842 code as per yours - there are other indicators to look at if the cover is removed, but check the readings first with a meter 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Thanks Mark, I’ll get the meter out. 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Measured them as 7.3 neck and 7.8 bridge albeit at the jack, rather than the pickups.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Just to add to the helpful info from @guitars4you here is a link to Charlie Gelber's web page where he discusses Shaw pickups. His particular expertise is ES-335s but the article is relevant to other Gibson's of that period.

My own '82 ES-335 has Shaw pickups with very similar markings to the ones shown by @guitars4you, his being from a 1983 guitar.

http://www.es-335.com/2010/06/19/the-pride-of-the-80s-part-1/
    tFB Trader
    rico said:
    Measured them as 7.3 neck and 7.8 bridge albeit at the jack, rather than the pickups.
    that is what/hoped they'd be for the TS era models - many later models had no 6 digit inked markings - Hence many queries as a result
    tFB Trader
    Jimbro66 said:
    Just to add to the helpful info from @guitars4you here is a link to Charlie Gelber's web page where he discusses Shaw pickups. His particular expertise is ES-335s but the article is relevant to other Gibson's of that period.

My own '82 ES-335 has Shaw pickups with very similar markings to the ones shown by @guitars4you, his being from a 1983 guitar.

http://www.es-335.com/2010/06/19/the-pride-of-the-80s-part-1/
    useful link and I'd forgotten about the small sticker on the pick up surround - See it on some guitars nut not all