Push-pull or 4 way switch for Telecaster series mod?

Does anyone have any experience with using either to add the pickups wired in series mod to a Telecaster? I'm looking at having the mod done, but I'm wondering which is preferable between the two.

I like the simplicity of the three position switch and it seems like less fuss when switching between pickups, but I've never used a push-pull tone before. A mini-switch between the volume and tone knob just seems like something I'd break if I were playing a bit too hard.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8708
    From a practical point of view I’ve tried both methods, and find a 4 or 5 way easier to use when playing. 

You also need a switch which has the right number of tracks and contacts.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Personally I would use a Fender S1 switch in the volume control - or tone control if you want since it's not labelled like the Strat one is. It's expensive, but is a very neat solution and because it uses a standard pot it's got a decent taper. It avoids the problems of the 4-way switch - cutting out between positions and one position being noisy because the other pickup is 'floating' without a ground connection.

It's actually a 4PDT switch, you would just use two of the poles - but if you wanted to be really thorough you could wire two pairs of the poles in parallel to create an extremely reliable and quiet DPDT.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Personaly I would use a push/pull cos it keeps the guitar looking standard!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    There is another option - a DPDT on/on switch mounted between the volume and tone pots. 

The Telecaster version of the Fender S-1 switch uses a solid shaft rather than the splined type for Stratocaster. The good news is that the metal knob is not labelled volume or tone. (Thus, the pot section could be wired for either application.) The bad news is that the knob has a flat top. It looks wrong on a vintage style Telecaster.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 762
    edited March 2019
    Just drill a hole and fit a DPDT switch. The 4-way switch never feels right if you are used to a three way. Push-push pots tend to sit too high. Push-pull are better but like push-push they tend to be too loose when turned, especially in the up position. S-1 always fail eventually, despite being the elegant solution. DPDT is cheap and reliable.

Also remember that one of the pickups needs to be three wire i.e. the baseplate on the bridge pickup or (more commonly) the cover on the neck pickup needs to be earthed separately.
  • MilkMilk Frets: 84
    I think this is all personal preference. i persosnally cant stand push/pull and would choose a regular switch all day long