Need help valuing a custom built guitar

What's Hot
stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7158
My friend from work needs to sell his guitar, he has just had a load of heart surgery and needs to part with this. The guitar was a gift from his wife and she had it built by a luthier, who now apparently just makes violins!

He has sent me some photos and is going to ask his better half the name of the luthier as he cannot remember. So, for now, I have the pics to share, but if I get more info I will update this thread.

I played the guitar a while back and it sustains forever and plays beautifully, so I can confirm it is a well-made instrument. I know Hugh Manson has played it and loved it, so I have advised my friend to get him to appraise it as well.

With anything 'one-off' and not a known brand I know it will be hard to value, but looking for some advice to pass on to my mate Adrian.

Any help much appreciated.

Weight is 8lb 2oz

I'm not sure of what all the woods are, but it rings like a bell when you plug it in, so don't think any of it was cheap. 

https://i.imgur.com/HzeYBml.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZX4Y0Ro.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/GCS0j31.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/msrV069.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/r9K7RBk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/28k7Dne.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kcgKPVO.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/J8dSVPj.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/BnV4B0G.jpg

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14319
    edited March 2019 tFB Trader
    First of all, sorry to hear about your friend - hope recuperation is going okay and continues that way

However I can't offer so much good news about the value of the guitar - I dare say to have such a hand built guitar today from the likes of Manson or our own Feline Guitar would be in excess of £2500 maybe £3000 - And certainly for insurance purposes you will need to cover it for such replacement value

But to sell it I'm afraid you will struggle to get £500 for it as it has no known pedigree - Doesn't matter how well it plays etc, to many it is to much of an unknown quantity

I'm guessing it was built in the 80's based on the 'jam sandwich' vibe that many of the Jap Matsumoku factory turned out

In such circumstances I hate to offer such bad news - In fact I hope I'm wrong - Will be interesting to see what other FB guys suggest

Best wishes to your friend
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Knowing the maker may be the difference between £500 and £5000....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5282
    is it Brazilian Rosewood on the front and Mahogany back?  certainly looks beautifully made and very much of an era...appraised by Hugh Manson wont do much IMO...there are a few great guitars popping up from time to time from unknown builders and they never seem to attract much money...

as an example I bought a parlour guitar built by a chap in Norwich who only built 5 or 6 guitars then stopped and just did instrument repairs, it was beautifully built, light as a feather, great woods sounding superb I paid £750 for it used and a few years later struggled to get £400 for it, even when people played it, loved it but cos there is no name it was overlooked..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31635
    Its obvious quality won't be reflected in the price I'm afraid.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33819
    It looks like a great guitar but echoing others you will never get the money back if it isn't a named brand.
    £500 sounds a bit right but also expect it to take ages to sell- there are very few buyers for unnamed, high spec/quality instruments.
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    I'd also say around the £500 mark. 
    Although it looks a real beauty and side by side would probably give an Gibson SG a proper pasting, it's a weird thing in the guitar world where instruments aren't worth what they're worth because they're good or not, but rather the name stamped on them.
    Like others have said though, could be worth a lot more if it had the right luthier name to it.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    The name is everything. An acquantance of mine inherited an old f-style mandolin with no name on the headstock. 

After much research his £500ish no name mandolin was verified as a Monteleone (really early one) worth about £20k
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72513
    I would agree with £500 if the luthier isn't a 'known' one.

I would strongly suggest that given that that sort of money is rarely enough to make a life-changing difference, and that it was a gift from his wife and probably cost far more, that he should not sell it. It looks like too good a guitar to part with for that little as well.

If he is determined to sell it, I would advertise it on *bass* forums - really! Bass players are much keener on that sort of construction and often less obsessed with brand names, and if you find a bassist who wants a guitar, it could sell more easily there.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    I would agree with £500 if the luthier isn't a 'known' one.

I would strongly suggest that given that that sort of money is rarely enough to make a life-changing difference, and that it was a gift from his wife and probably cost far more, that he should not sell it. It looks like too good a guitar to part with for that little as well.

agree with you that the sentimental valuation is far higher
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033

I'm with the comments above.

As tFB's prime hoarder of unloved and weird sh*te, I own (and have owned) numerous "one-off" luthier-built guitars - and pretty much without exception, all have (or had) very low residual value for the reasons outlined by other contributors.

NB. If you check the sale archives of Gardiner Houlgate, over the years, there are many examples of guitars which must have cost an arm and a leg when new, but only made a few hundred (if that) when auctioned.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

tFB Trader
    The name is everything. An acquantance of mine inherited an old f-style mandolin with no name on the headstock. 

After much research his £500ish no name mandolin was verified as a Monteleone (really early one) worth about £20k
    In both the mandolin and violin trade, both have largely been influenced by small workshops for many years now - Some are more well known than others - Many violins have no name as such but can be attributed to an era, date, country, or a 'school of excellence' and still be worth a lot of money - But they don't operate in the same 'brand commercial driven market' as electric guitars - Guitars can still have a  pedigree from small dedicated workshops, but even so to have no name is rare, especially in the last 50 years or so 

The electric market is driven so much by a recognized name on the headstock - Rightly or wrongly

Fading memory bank on my part - But I somehow recall a similar guitar that I sold 10 years ago - Sure it had something to do with Manson's - Either a prototype or a junior luthier who worked there - No name on it - Similar style to the above guitar - Sold it for around £300 

@harryseven - My thoughts entirely regarding such guitars sold via Gardiner + Houlgate - This and my own knowledge influenced my earlier comments

• blobbblobb Frets: 2982
    That's lovely, right up my street. Look like Kent Armstrong pups?
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2176
    blobb said:
    That's lovely, right up my street. Look like Kent Armstrong pups?
    Ah, Kent Armstrong. 

Brush Script MT logo. 
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    edited March 2019
    It's beautifully built and finished!  But I agree with the others...luthier custom builds have generally low resale values which bear little resemblance to the original price in any case, but when that is an unknown luthier too...

It is worth taking the back control cover off and having a look just in case there's a label or name there...that's certainly where I put my own build labels on through-neck custom builds.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7158
    edited March 2019
    Cheers guys, all input super helpful and I will pass it on to my friend.

An update, it was built by a gentleman called  John Matthews

Message from my friend below

His name is John Matthews and is probably retired, about 8 years older than me. He built some violins, acoustic and electric guitars and was a perfectionist. He would very carefully select the wood he was going to use. A friend asked him to make a cello bow, and this friend showed to a famous lady cellist (about 30 years ago) she loved it and had John make many over the next 20 years or so and introduced him to many professional violinists, cellist an bass players. His bows started at least at £2k a go and are still highly regarded. I don’t think he advertised it was all word of mouth, I believe he got too busy at one point.

• SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 846
    edited March 2019
    Would it be worth contacting Mr Matthew for something from him to verify that he did make it (provenance). If he is well known in the violin world maybe advertise on violin forum?

Details 

Details
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31635
    That's a good idea. I sold a theorbo last year and managed to find the luthier who made it in 1979. 

Having the full spec, receipts and the whole backstory via email made a big difference to the buyer. 
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7158
    Would it be worth contacting Mr Matthew for something from him to verify that he did make it (provenance). If he is well known in the violin world maybe advertise on violin forum?

Details 

Details
    Good plan, I will pass this on to my friend.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    It's a fab looking guitar! Looks proper class