The 1x12 vs 2x12 combo debate

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    My Fender Blues Deluxe is a 1x12 but in a decent sized chassis so is very loud and has good low end. I think it's the large chassis that really helps. It's had no issues whatsoever against a loud drummer. I bearly get it past 3
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    I’m just about to do a cabinet upgrade for a customer with a Blues Junior, putting it in a pine 5E3 Deluxe size cab - which is slightly wider. It will be interesting to see how much difference it makes...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• wonder why guitar speakers are circular. would it make a difference if they were oval or eliptical
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    wonder why guitar speakers are circular. would it make a difference if they were oval or eliptical

I do remember seeing some elliptical speakers a while ago. 

I rmever reading somewhere that they are less sucpetible to breakup due to the larger radiator size but that could also depend on a whole other set of factors. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    I have a 5e3 made by Abbott Amps with a larger cabinet with 2x10" drivers and it kicks proverbial. Also has the Rob Robinette mod which gives a three way switch for feedback loop options. 
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Yes. Get a 212 or a 210. If it's cheaper to get a bass one, get a bass one. Or a PA cab. I used a 212 Carlsbro cab for my HT-1 for a long time at band practise. For bass. It rocked.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    wonder why guitar speakers are circular. would it make a difference if they were oval or eliptical
    Elliptical speakers have been used in 'audio' - you wouldn't call it hi-fi - for decades, for reasons of both space saving and at one point because purchase tax was based on the size of the speaker so the manufacturers quoted the smaller dimension! Only in the UK... :)

A few very basic vintage guitar amps also used them. I'm pretty sure some small boutique amp makers have tried to use them recently, out of some sort of 'retro' nostalgia I think. They don't sound good when pushed hard - the cone distorts in fairly unpredictable ways and sounds farty and raspy. Some people seem to like that though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    ICBM said:
    Elliptical speakers have been used in 'audio' - you wouldn't call it hi-fi - for decades, for reasons of both space saving and at one point because purchase tax was based on the size of the speaker so the manufacturers quoted the smaller dimension! Only in the UK... :)

A few very basic vintage guitar amps also used them. I'm pretty sure some small boutique amp makers have tried to use them recently, out of some sort of 'retro' nostalgia I think. They don't sound good when pushed hard - the cone distorts in fairly unpredictable ways and sounds farty and raspy. Some people seem to like that though.
    One of the champ builders on tdpri (muchxs?) reckoned his fav champ speaker was (i think) a 6x9 inch car/hifi speaker from the 50s
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    The first guitar amp I ever had, a Triumph 'Leo', came with a 12 x 8 eliptical speaker:

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    1x12 combo for me because I'm an old git and a 2x12 is too heavy.

Although I have to admit that I'm currently using two 1x12 combos live (one on each side of the stage) for the spread, as we're just vocs, drums, bass and guitar.

It's not a competition.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    1x12 combo for me because I'm an old git and a 2x12 is too heavy.

Me too.  I just can't cope with the weight of a 2x12 anymore.  My Laney VC30-210 is a compact 2 x 10 thats only about 48lbs and I have the matching 1x12 extn cab.  This makes for a great compromise...nice vintage spank from the 2x10s and a bit more spread and bottom end with the 1x12. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1466
    There are certain 1x12 combos that sound huge - the Tone King Imperial, notably (Mark Bartel has said he spends about as much time on cabinet design as he does on the amp circuit itself) and numerous times I've heard the Louis Electric Columbia make other 1x12 combos sound like toys in direct comparison.
  • I'm seriously thinking about building a vertical 10" + 12" speaker cab.  I'm thinking an enclosed bottom half with a 12" Greenback and a semi-open top half with a 10" Jensen.  Wiring so you can select either or both.  I'm not sure if this is going to turn out to be the most versatile speaker ever, or just an odd compromise.