Delay musing

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
I like delay and use it a fair bit on my rig – I don't go for weird 'out there' kind of delay sounds though. Currently I'm using a H9 core for my delay sounds but I do miss the knobs that other pedals have.  So thinking/musing once again about going back to a 'knobbed' pedal. However, my caveats are that it must include MIDI, about the same size of a H9 (but not a deal breaker if it isn't), a screen would be nice but realise at that size it could be difficult. 

I love the Strymon offerings and I used to have a Timeline but too much for my needs really. If the El Cap had midi I would've been more than happy with that. Volante is just a bit too pricey at the moment so will wait until the used market some pumping out some if I went for it however, it's still large and no screen :(

Any other suggestions ? Source Audio Nemisis users out there for example?
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    HX Stomp has knobs innit
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    simonk said:
    HX Stomp has knobs innit
    Haven't heard of that one. Any good?
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Yeah, pretty good... 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    TC Nova Delay?
  • Mark1985Mark1985 Frets: 234
    The Nemesis is great dude. Up to 8 presets or 128 with midi.
    The neuro app let's you tweak your delays to whatever you want. You can also download other users attempts at recreating legendary delay sounds eg: DMM or Echoplex type delays. Simple to use and easy to dial in great delay sounds on the pedal.
    Usually sell quite quickly if it's not for you and a few available on here atm.
    Mark1985 said:
    The neuro app let's you tweak your delays to whatever you want. You can also download other users attempts at recreating legendary delay sounds eg: DMM or Echoplex type delays. Simple to use and easy to dial in great delay sounds on the pedal.
    Presets saving like the volant then by the sound of it. Have you used a switcher to access the saved presets via midi @Mark1985 . I'm presuming you've used one etc?
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9585
    @preston61 has a Nemesis I think
  • Mark1985Mark1985 Frets: 234
    Mark1985 said:
    Presets saving like the volant then by the sound of it. Have you used a switcher to access the saved presets via midi @Mark1985 . I'm presuming you've used one etc?
    I don't use the midi side of it as 8 presets is more than enough for me but I use an external tap switch to scroll through them. Can all be set up with the Neuro app. I'm sure the midi works just as well as anything else. Very easy to save and name presets. 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5162
    Boss DD-500? Only a little bigger than the H9 but otherwise ticks all the boxes, although might be in the Timeline "too much" category.

GFI Specular Tempus? Haven't tried one, but it's small, has a screen, MIDI in, and a lot going on under the bonnet.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

edited March 2019
    Dilemas! After much thought I know I've always loved the Strymons but only experience has been with the Timeline and El Cap mainly. I still think Timeline and the ilk is still going to be more than I need and after thinking about it I think I'd only need 2 delay sounds in my set. So if I can live with two sounds then the El Cap, Brigadier, Dig, Deco are all contenders but can't choose which would be suitable. Would you say the El Cap is the good all rounder? I can switch to the favourite setting using my Boss ES5 switcher etc

Just to add I think the DIG is pretty versatile too if I want the dotted 1/8 stuff and ambient stuff. Mainly I'll be using for a standard delay though.... if there is one LOL

F££%% i  it it's got to be the El Cap ain't it ?
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 760
    Dilemas! After much thought I know I've always loved the Strymons but only experience has been with the Timeline and El Cap mainly. I still think Timeline and the ilk is still going to be more than I need and after thinking about it I think I'd only need 2 delay sounds in my set. So if I can live with two sounds then the El Cap, Brigadier, Dig, Deco are all contenders but can't choose which would be suitable. Would you say the El Cap is the good all rounder? I can switch to the favourite setting using my Boss ES5 switcher etc

Just to add I think the DIG is pretty versatile too if I want the dotted 1/8 stuff and ambient stuff. Mainly I'll be using for a standard delay though.... if there is one LOL

I’ve got both Timeline and El Cap currently- the El Cap has certainly got something about it, and can get mega clean (but always a bit washier than say a boss Digital Delay) or sound like a BBD with higher bias settings and max bass response. Hidden knobs are a pain but otherwise I prefer it...
    Plus it’s got the two Roland Space Echo settings ( the Timeline only has the EP3 setting which the Cap also has), plus spring reverb (which is LUSH) and a cool looper which is a pain to master but fun all the same
  • PFAllen2PFAllen2 Frets: 244

David, I have an H9, a Nemesis and a Specular Tempus. Each one can be a standard delay with ease, and the Nemesis and Specular Tempus can both be easily controlled by MIDI just like your H9. All roughly the same size.

Click here for my Trading Feedback
  • preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    PFAllen2 said:

David, I have an H9, a Nemesis and a Specular Tempus. Each one can be a standard delay with ease, and the Nemesis and Specular Tempus can both be easily controlled by MIDI just like your H9. All roughly the same size.

Not to mention that the Nemesis costs less than the single box strymons and can get the sounds of both the El Cap and Dig, plus a hundred others beside
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Line 6 M5. Has everything you want, including MIDI, for about 60 quid used.
    I'm thinking as long as I can switch to a favourite delay from my Boss ES5 as well as another delay I might be covered for my delay usage. So maybe a Strymon is going to be my route./ Fun checking out all these delay possibilities though :)
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    edited March 2019
    Do you, or anyone, know if these will run properly on 300mA?
    That's the max I have available on a Cioks DC5
    edited March 2019
    Grunfeld said:
    Do you, or anyone, know if these will run properly on 300mA?
    That's the max I have available on a Cioks DC5
    I’ve had one run pretty much glitch free with 350ma.

That said, the M5 is a way off the quality of the Strymon. I also have been through 2 of them dying before sacking them off and sticking with a Zoom Multistomp as my Swiss Army. Having an M9 in the house currently I can say Strymon>Zoom>Line 6 with confidence. 
  • I might sell my Nemesis delay if you're interested.

Bye!

I might sell my Nemesis delay if you're interested.
    Blimey you're the second person this week who's offered me one of them. Although awesome I think I'll just be constantly tweaking and not settling. Just two sounds I'd use I believe i.e. Slap back and a lead delay etc.

Thanks for the offer though