Odd request for ideas!

TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
Some of you may have seen my thread in OT and know that I am about to have surgery that will mean that I henceforth have a stoma. So, I have been pondering the effect on my playing guitar and thinking (overthinking?) the best guitar for my needs. Well, any excuse for GAS and something to keep me focussed and occupied as I recover from the op.

I think that the guitar needs to have no sharp edges, so heavily radiussed body, probably with belly and arm cuts for extra comfort (reassurance) and as light as possible less than 7lbs perhaps. 

As to type, I have been loving my GSP LPJ, so would quite like a single bridge P90, or, maybe a pair of P90’s al la LP special etc.

I like Gibson scale length, so need to factor that in to the neck and basic measurements too. 

I’m guessing this may have to be a build, so who might produce a bespoke body to take either a built neck or an off the shelf neck. ( I am assuming bolt on rather than set neck if I will assemble, but I assume this adds weight?)

Who makes the lightest fittings I.e. tuners, bridge or stoptail (aluminium wraparound at c1g). 

If if not a build, any ready built suggestions please?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    If you get a slab body chambered with a thin cap it'll be very light, especially a dc junior type, it probably wouldn't suit a forearm contour unless you bend the cap over but belly cut would still work ok

I'd also think if it's down the junior style guitar then most likely a set neck 

Doesn't have to be junior but something chambered would get the weight right down or a thinner body to start, even my lightweight dc junior is over 7lbs, the contours would bring it down though

Another suggestion is if your jnr is light enough have all the contours done on it to lighten it further 

As to who to ask I'm sure a few on here would be able to do it for you like GSP etc

A wraptail bridge is probably the lightest you could use 

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    If I recall correctly, I think that my LPJ is already chambered, so adding contours may be a risk. Plus it is front bound so couldn’t add an arm cut (although this is the least necessary).

I was was wondering about a Tele, Stat or  JM style body in a lighter wood and chambered or with a large route; with a simple stoptail and single PU or maybe PU’s.

My LPJ is quite bright and I have always wondered if it is due to the chambering, so tone wiring may need reflect such an open body.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5402
    I guess some of this will depend on the geometry of the the stoma location?

Left field, but would something like a Steinberger cricket bat with a belly cut work better? Or possibly even something based on a V, but with some creative shaping on the top 'leg'?
  • I was going to suggest a Steinberger, but somebody beat me to it! 

I do have one you'd be welcome to try.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    What about a Kiesel? 
  • My PRS Custom 24 is very light and very comfortable. Easily the best guitar I have in terms of playability and comfort. And the chances of finding a sharp edge on that guitar is zero, they're immaculately built guitars.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • BadnotesBadnotes Frets: 48
    If you could live with a 25.5 inch scale length would one of the older Ibanez JS700's it the bill? Heavily contoured, 2 p90s and lightweight. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    Why not talk to Martyn Booth? He might be able to offer a build modified from his range that is exactly what you need.
    Thanks all look like options worth a look, though I would prefer to try to stick with a more traditional style rather than ‘travel’ style if at all possible. 

@jonathanthomas24 I actually have a PRS custom 24 and agree it is very comfortable. I wouldn’t say mine is particularly light, about 8.5 lbs if I recall.

the JS700 looks good too.

i am probably overthinking this and, once healed, I will be fine. It’s an unfortunate spin off from having had to wait five weeks for surgery (I’m not complaining as this is quite quick, but it does allow loads of time for the mind to wander).
  • TADodger said:

@jonathanthomas24 I actually have a PRS custom 24 and agree it is very comfortable. I wouldn’t say mine is particularly light, about 8.5 lbs if I recall.
    Very nice guitars. I've never actually weighed mine, but it's lighter than my other guitars, feels like nothing in comparison to them actually. Beautifully ergonomic. Mine's a 2017 model - might be the choice of wood they had in at the time. But my first 24 (2015) was light too.

Hope you feel better soon!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    https://i.imgur.com/1i3hQ0n.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3jYhkV0.jpg

This is (now) Audrey's PRS SE Santana Special.
    I bought this new at the end of 2016 for £350.

They're an amazing guitar if you can find one and other than a bone nut, switch-craft jack socket and a full pro-set up it's never needed any money spending on it, least of all to replace the pickups or tuners etc,... they're really good.
    Overall build quality has been and still is superb.

It's a slightly chunky neck but not any more than your average Gibson. It feels like a compact guitar to hold and play and the body isn't very obtrusive with an arched top and a small belly cut.

I love it and now Audrey has it hanging alongside her PRS CU24.
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Never mind the guitar, but good luck with the surgury, and i wish you a speedy recovery
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8739
    GAS will give you something to think about before and after surgery. You can then go on a spending spree to celebrate being alive.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • I would have a look at a Music Man smaller body and some are ridiculously light
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    @Alnico - did think about these, but figured they would be very similar to my CU24 and I was hoping to go lighter. I think that I am sort of aiming at a simpler version of @Impmann's Alembic-esque guitar!

@maltingsaudio - Yes, need to look at 
    Musician.

The more I get in to this the more it feels like an opportunity for GAS!

Thanks for the support.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14517
    How about using a guitar stand?

The stand supports the weight of your instrument(s) without the need for modifications. You just slide up to the instrument and play it. No compression or gravitational pressure of any sort on your torso.

Yeah, it will look a bit Pat Metheny (or Alex Lifeson) but it is less of a compromise than some of the alternatives.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    @Funkfingers - not sure about the two you mention, but I think Claus Levin uses some sort of stand to hold his guitar while he plays.