Pad Controllers and Reaper

What's Hot
For Drums.

Anyone use them? I had a go at putting some drums in and it was a pain.

Am I correct in thinking you can use a pad controller to control a drum VST, plus use it for some Reaper functionality like starting recording, stopping recording etc rather than clicking or keyboard short cuts.

Any that are good? Wasnt looking at particularly expensive ones, maybe up to £200. If at all.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33802
    I use an Arturia Beatstep Pro quite a lot and it is excellent.
    £209.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    You can also use a regular midi keyboard if you have one, usually C1 is kick drum, D1 snare etc. A keyboard is also useful for non-drum things! There are plenty of keyboards controllers that also have drum pad pads in the 100 - 120 range, I can't recommend a specific model though as I've used a regular keyboard to programme drums for the last 30 years.
    In Ableton you can use the computer keyboard to trigger midi so maybe reaper has a similar ability? It's a bit clunky for recording melodic things but might be better for drums?
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    octatonic said:
    I use an Arturia Beatstep Pro quite a lot and it is excellent.
    £209.
    Thanks, I'll have a look into that!

wave100 said:
    You can also use a regular midi keyboard if you have one, usually C1 is kick drum, D1 snare etc. A keyboard is also useful for non-drum things! There are plenty of keyboards controllers that also have drum pad pads in the 100 - 120 range, I can't recommend a specific model though as I've used a regular keyboard to programme drums for the last 30 years.
    In Ableton you can use the computer keyboard to trigger midi so maybe reaper has a similar ability? It's a bit clunky for recording melodic things but might be better for drums?

Don't fancy a midi keyboard as it would be wasted on me, however triggering midi via th computer keyboard is an excellent idea that I'll have a look at, cheers!