Harley Benton HB-35

What's Hot
mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4675
Anyone own one? Thoughts? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rossirossi Frets: 1707
    Guitar and Bass magazine voted it top of the type  and price in a review a few years ago .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 545454545454 Frets: 184
    Had one for a while - thought it was pretty good, but need a bit of setting up - tuning was a wee bit hit and miss. Sounded good though, nicely made and decent finish. Ended up selling it on though as I picked up a Tanglewood Memphis for a similar price - not sure if I just got lucky with that one, but it was head and shoulders above anything else I'd tried under £500. 
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4675
    cheers lads, they look decent for the price tbh 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    I have the predecessor the e35. Added Seymour Duncan's and Gibson tuners and it's an absolute keeper. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5174
    rossi said:
    Guitar and Bass magazine voted it top of the type  and price in a review a few years ago .
    Not being funny, but "top of the  £150 semis" sounds a bit like damning with faint praise.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• mark123mark123 Frets: 1326
    had one felt a big step down from a epip dot..just the feel was cheap ..if you are patient on e bay for £175 you are hitting used dot prices ..
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4675
    cheers  guys 
    i have a hankering for something semi ( oooh eerr ) so thought that may fill the gap cheaply
  • steersteer Frets: 1199
    Friend has one. It is pretty good. Disappointing finish to the fretboard is the only flaw I could find. Can't believe that they can sell it at that price and make a profit. 

As with any cheap guitar, pay a fair bit more and you can probably find something better. 
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
    This thread may or may not be useful to you....seems we might be on a similar path....

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/152772/what-else-could-i-consider#latest
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2940
    I have one.  Its a good guitar at the price and as you say fills that semi hole.  Pickups are a bit rough but I've heard worse.

• rossirossi Frets: 1707
    rossi said:
    Not being funny, but "top of the  £150 semis" sounds a bit like damning with faint praise.
    it depends whether you have the extra money to buy a more expensive one .A Skoda was a lousy car in the early years but was still great to get in one when it pissed down with rain .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14577

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    I bought one new in 2016 and still have it. The pickups on mine are OK and the build quality is pretty amazing for the money . I guess that some components such as tuners and pickups may have changed over the years but my guitar only needed minor adjustments in order to play really nicely, ( most new guitars do), it compares favourably with my, considerably more expensive, Gibson semi acoustics.
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1326
    i would have the epi dot over the harley and day ,it felt like a toy where as the dot felt like a quality instrument ,these are easily the best value guitars under £300 new and £200 s/h
    In fact i thing Josh homme queens of stoneage uses a black one live 

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I had one a while back.    Usual case of great for the money.    It felt way better than I expected and the construction was ok.   Hardware all felt very cheap.  

Doesnt really compare to a Gibson and it’s not meant to but if that’s the budget then they are fine.  With a change of hardwire, pickups and wiring it would feel a lot better so you could gradually upgrade it.