Laney LC15 vs Laney VC15 vs Cub 10

What's Hot
Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
I'm in the market for a small 1x10 valve combo that doesn't go far north of £100 used. The Laney LC15, VC15 and Cub 10 all fit the bill, just can't figure the difference between the LC and VC models. Why did they have two 15w, EL84, 10" combos with reverb in the market at the same time? Were they voiced differently? Was one of a higher quality?

The Cub is favourable as it runs on a 6V6's but unfortunately lacks reverb, but no biggie as a pedal can see to that.  If anyone could share some wisdom or opinions on these three models of amp that would be much appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    I have a Cub 10. Its a good little amp for not much money. Someone will be along in a minute to tell you you need to change the stock speakers and they'd be right!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Duppy03 said:
    I'm in the market for a small 1x10 valve combo that doesn't go far north of £100 used. The Laney LC15, VC15 and Cub 10 all fit the bill, just can't figure the difference between the LC and VC models. Why did they have two 15w, EL84, 10" combos with reverb in the market at the same time? Were they voiced differently? Was one of a higher quality?
    The VC15 is by far the best.

The LC15 is poorly-built and has a tendency to heat-related problems on the main PCB. They are voiced differently as well, but the quality difference is much more important.

The Cub 10 is a much more basic amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    Thanks for the input. Basic design and stock speakers is fine, this will be my grab and go amp for open mic nights, jams and home rehearsals when I want to travel light. I won't be using it for gigs or recording, I've got my 'proper' amp for that.

So now we've ruled out the LC15 is the Cub 10 a comparable option to the VC15? As good, just different? It seems pretty well liked.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Yes, in that case the Cub would be good. No build quality issues really, and lighter than the VC.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27007
    I loved my VC15. Happy to sit in the middle of Fender, VOX and Marshall sounds and could lean in any of those directions with careful EQ use and a speaker swap if really keen. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Having owned Cubs 10 and 12 and having been in a band with someone who regularly used to use a VC15 or 30, I’d say get the VC15. It’s a sweet sounding thing and more versatile than the Cub 10.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited March 2019
    If you are specifically looking for a 1x10 then the VC15 is a good call. 

I have a VC30-210 (stock) and a Cub 12R (Upgraded with Vintage 30 and a full set of JJ tubes). However, the 1x10s have limited stage projection and can be a bit too toppy with less bottom end. Depends on the tones you need and style of music you play, of course. But even with the VC30-210 I use a matching Laney GS12VE 1x12 extn cab to add bottom end when I need it and for wider projection.  But as a portable amp solution the VC15 should fit the bill nicely. 

For my needs, as I had the VC30-210, I went Cub 12R (EL84s) rather than the VC15, or 6V6 Cub 10, as I play mainly classic rock and blues. I also wanted a 1x12, reverb, full EQ, and 8/16ohm extn cab out options, which the Cub 10 doesnt have but the VC15 does (apart from the 1x12 of course).    
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 615
    ICBM said:
    Duppy03 said:
    The VC15 is by far the best.

The LC15 is poorly-built and has a tendency to heat-related problems on the main PCB. They are voiced differently as well, but the quality difference is much more important.

The Cub 10 is a much more basic amp.
    Agree 100%. I've owned both the VC and LC and the VC15 is a genuinely nice sounding amp with good reverb. Very vox-like tones and definitely strongest in the clean/edge of break-up territory.

The best I can say about the LC15 is that it sounds ok! I struggled with the clean sounds but it has more gain than the VC15.

No first-hand experience of the Cub.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4136
    Cub 10 and 12 have different pre-amp circuits. Cub 12 is the Marshall 2203. So it's the best small all-valve Marshall that Marshall doesn't make.