Wtb to buy a Telecaster but I’ve never owned one and don’t know what to buy too much choice

What's Hot
bignormbignorm Frets: 191
edited March 2019 in Guitar
the title sez it all really.
ive never owned a telecaster and I’d rather spend around  300 to 400 on a half decent used one rather than something shiny. 
I saw a used levinson blade that look pretty good it had a humbucker in the neck position too which ticks my Andy summers box. 
I like the idea of a beat up Tele with an onboard boast for a bit more grunt when needed but don’t fancy a 5k master build custom from fender. 
im totally confused by the different Tele models fender are selling too.
Can someone point me in the right direction please?
cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7912
    edited March 2019
    Do you want a skinny neck of fat neck?

Fantastic start points in your price range are Squire Classic Vibe (skinny neck)

Or

Fender Baja (fat neck). Buy used for best priced.

Squire John 5 tele gets your humbuckers.  As does Fender  Chris Shiflett. Great guitar, lovely neck, but sounds like a Les Paul. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    I’d get a Baja. Use pedals for boosting/tweaking the tone.
  • bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    I’d rather have a modern neck with decent frets, never liked skinny fender fretwire. 
    Oh and a proper Tele bridge pick up maybe a humbucker in the neck position
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9585
    Mate, go into a guitar shop and play loads. Youll know the one that ‘feels’ right, as it is all so personal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Mate, go into a guitar shop and play loads. Youll know the one that ‘feels’ right, as it is all so personal.
    ...And then build yourself a Partscaster that has all the idiosyncratic bits you want to combine. For your budget you could easily build something unique and awesome. 
  • Within that price -
    either the 60s baja (slim neck, steel saddles) the 50s baja (chunky neck, brass saddles) or the FSR MIM ash tele (slim neck, brass saddles...reversed control panel) would be my suggestions purely picking from the world of Fender on the headstock.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3990
    The MIM Classic Series are great guitars if you want the traditional specs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    Teles are a strange thing in that due to the design, the sound comes from the body shape more than the PUPS. Consequently, they all sound very similar! This means you get a good chance of a good Tele at any price point/brand
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Without wishing to turn this thread into a ‘list’ of all possible Teles, if you like the Idea of a HB in the neck, do try a G&L ASAT Bluesboy, either solid or semi hollow. In Tribute guise they are decent VFM and not a lot above your budget new. They also have the modern neck and biggish frets that you mention.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Whatever it is, it will always be your first Tele - It needs to say FENDER on the headstock.

Other oddities can come along later ;)

Oh and to make life simple just get a decent MIM standard in butterscotch blonde with a black pickguard just as the good lord intended them to be :)
  • AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    bignorm said:
    the title sez it all really.
    ive never owned a telecaster and I’d rather spend around  300 to 400 on a have decent used one rather than something shiny. 
    I saw a used levinson blade that look pretty good it had a humbucker in the neck position too which ticks my Andy summers box. 
    I like the idea of a beat up Tele with an onboard boast for a bit more need when needed but don’t fancy a 5k master build custom from fender. 
    im totally confused by the different Tele models fender are selling too.
    Can someone point me in the right direction please?
    cheers

I've had a Japanese BladeTele for over 20 years.  Blades are wonderful things and without a doubt, the actives make it extremely versatile, but even without that, would still be a great guitar.  Blade teles are either made in Korea or their more expensive model, Japan, AFAIK, the p/ups and electronics are the same. Blades do tend to be on the heavy side though.  If that Blade tele is still around, at least try it out
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    Neck humbucker, modern appointments, £350?  Squier Pro Tone Fat Tele.
  • Read back through a bit more - I’d suggest unless you’re absolutely sure on the humbucker plan (they can be difficult to balance against the bridge single coil) then I’d say try and grab a 2nd hand 60s baja.

the 52 bridge pickup in it is a bit woodier and does more of a bark than a twang. Fits if you like humbuckers as a sound profile, including using it in mid position to fatten the neck. Getting s1 switching and 4 way switching into the bargain gives you plenty of scope to explore.

I’d also say, while I do like such as the G&L stuff and a bluesboy could be ideal if you are thinking humbucker is essential; if it doesn’t work out (and you are exploring what you like here) it should be easier to sell the 60s baja on without much hassle or loss.
  • bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    Neck humbucker, modern appointments, £350?  Squier Pro Tone Fat Tele.
    Damn it ... that looked perfect and it's sold 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14520
    edited March 2019
    bignorm said:
    ... never owned a telecaster ... totally confused by the different Tele models fender are selling ... I’d rather spend around  300 to 400 
    First things first.
    • What guitars do you own and/or normally play? 
    • What do you like and dislike about them? 
    • What amplification and pedals do you use?
    • What music style(s) are you mostly playing?
    To be honest, the Andy Summers modified Custom Telecaster is probably not the ideal upon which to base expectations. It has too many idiosyncratic features. In several respects, it is a one-off electric guitar that happens to possess the outline of a Fender. Its sounds are not those of a traditional Telecaster. 

Of course, if "not the sounds of a traditional Telecaster" is what you desire, the Levinson Blade T or Delta could well be the solution. 

Of the Fender/Squier products in your price bracket, the standard has to be the MIM Standard (pre-owned). The body on these is routed with a generous one-size-fits-all neck/Rhythm position pickup cavity. Thus, almost any pickup upgrade you could imagine is possible with a pickguard change ... and fully reversible.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It took me an age to find a Tele I could use. No Fender works for me because of the string spread (e strings pull off the fingerboard). Fender fixed everything else about the necks: larger radius, 22nd fret etc. but not that.

Lots of Teles & T-styles out there. Play as many as you can.
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2329
    edited March 2019
    The blades are great guitars.  I had a baja tele and the blade was far better in every way apart from the pickups. Price point they are superb as well. 

obviously if you need for some  reason to have fender on the headstock then go for a fender.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    This one was a proper bargain at £225.  They come up on eBay now and again.  I've got one and it's very good indeed.
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    TheMarlin said:
    Do you want a skinny neck of fat neck?

Fantastic start points in your price range are Squire Classic Vibe (skinny neck)

Or

Fender Baja (fat neck). Buy used for best priced.

Squire John 5 tele gets your humbuckers.  As does Fender  Chris Shiflett. Great guitar, lovely neck, but sounds like a Les Paul. 
    Agree with every word of this. Baja or Classic Vibe are great places to start trying, even if that's not what you want to buy. It'll help you work out your neck preference, which is one of the main things to consider, imo. 

The only things I would add: the Classic Vibe necks are very glossy, which is a problem for me. Your mileage may vary, of course. The Chris Shiflett Tele is great if you want A Les Paul sound without the idiosyncrasies of an LP, but they don't sound very Tele. All the ones I've tried have been pretty heavy too.