Crappy, rattling bridges on Gretsch Electromatics...

What's Hot
markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
If I keep the Gretsch, I think I probably need to replace this crappy bridge. It rattles like a bugger and is, well, just a bit cheap. What are the replacement options if I don't want to spend a fortune? I've seen a Wilkinson roller bridge used somewhere, but trying to see if there are any other things to look at.

I'll tag @TheMarlin as he's usually the font of all knowledge when it comes to Gretches, but anyone feel free to chip in!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2929
    tFB Trader

Comptons are ace, but if bridge base is pinned or taped etc you might need to change that. They were even more ace before the exchange rate went down the toilet, but still ace. Different metals for different sounds, string spacing & radius choices, chambered or solid. Most people notice things like clearer not separation, clearer tone, a little better sustain sometimes. To me the difference vs the rattle-o-matics was very noticeable. Despite being solid I didn't have any intonation issues which was my initial fear.

There's Tru arc as well but I've not had any of those. And the Bigsby bridge which some like the tone of, some don't.

Those bridges are good but can be had cheaper, they all seem the exact same thing, I've had lots of those. Although I've not put on one an Electro, check the string spacing suits it. Actually I've one sat around, it's yours if you want it, it's doing nowt and no plans for it (no cost, drop us a PM).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27149
    Compton - dead simple, massive upgrade. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7913
    Howdo.  Yes, the hardware on some Electromatic models can be a bit rubbish, and even the G5420 at £700 has a shitty rattling bridge. At that’s price point, Reverends are a better buy. 
    As for the bridge you asked about, I’ve used one myself on a Pro Jet. I really like that bridge. It can look a bit big and clumsy, but all the components lock solid with an Allen key, so once you have it dialled in and locked down, they’re pretty awesome. No rattles, performs brilliantly. 

Highly recommended.  Which Gretsch do you have?  Does the radius on this match your fretboard? Budget Gretsches vary between 9.5” and 12” radius. Best check first. 

All the best

Marlin :)
    Mines the 5438 with a Bigsby (hence why I was asking about those roller thingys the other day). It’s a decent guitar to play, it just has a few niggles and so I have a bit of a love/ hate relationship with it. Need to change the pickups too but that’s a different story....it had loads of upgrades before it got to me...

When I bought it....
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/24351/sold-gretsch-electromatic-pro-jet-ohsc-tv-jones-powertron-powertron-plus#latest

• HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    As mentioned here Compton bridges are very good if you have a movable base. They supply on line templates so that they match your fingerboard radius perfectly, they are also available in a range of materials and solid/hollow types. I have one on my 5120, my Gretsch Country Classic has a Gretsch rocking bar bridge,a very simple design but it works amazingly well. You may be able to find one online.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7913
    Mines the 5438 with a Bigsby (hence why I was asking about those roller thingys the other day). It’s a decent guitar to play, it just has a few niggles and so I have a bit of a love/ hate relationship with it. Need to change the pickups too but that’s a different story....it had loads of upgrades before it got to me...

When I bought it....
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/24351/sold-gretsch-electromatic-pro-jet-ohsc-tv-jones-powertron-powertron-plus#latest

It’s got Powertrons?
    I recently swapped out the Powertrons in my G Love Corvette and replaced them with TV Jones Supertrons. 
    Made a massive difference. Has 90% of the power of Powertrons, but with no mud, loads of chime, and rocks like
    a baddass.  
    I love these pickups!  You’re welcome to come try them out. 
    All the best
    Marlin
    TheMarlin said:

When I bought it....

It’s got Powertrons?
    I recently swapped out the Powertrons in my G Love Corvette and replaced them with TV Jones Supertrons. 
    Made a massive difference. Has 90% of the power of Powertrons, but with no mud, loads of chime, and rocks like
    a baddass.  
    All the best
    Marlin
    Yep, Powertrons and I think they are the main reason I keep changing my mind about the guitar! I’ll have a look at the Supertrons, they sound like they may be just the ticket... I find the powertrons a bit hot and a bit muddy (to my cloth ears!). Thanks for the offer, that would be awesome but I think you might be a reasonable trek from me. Wonder if I can find some second hand..... 
    Corvus said:

‘Rattle-o-matics’

Those bridges are good but can be had cheaper, they all seem the exact same thing, I've had lots of those. Although I've not put on one an Electro, check the string spacing suits it. Actually I've one sat around, it's yours if you want it, it's doing nowt and no plans for it (no cost, drop us a PM).

Rattle-o-matics - genuine lol!

Wow, that’s a very kind gesture....I’ll check what the string spacing is and see if it might fit....cheers!
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2929
    tFB Trader
    No worries mate, it cost like 11 squid posted ages ago and been sat unused for donks, just shout if you reckon it'll work.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    The Wilkinson roller bridge is a great and very cheap upgrade. That's what I put on my electromatic. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27149
    TheMarlin said:

When I bought it....

It’s got Powertrons?
    a baddass.  
    All the best
    Marlin
    Yep, Powertrons and I think they are the main reason I keep changing my mind about the guitar! I’ll have a look at the Supertrons, they sound like they may be just the ticket... I find the powertrons a bit hot and a bit muddy (to my cloth ears!). Thanks for the offer, that would be awesome but I think you might be a reasonable trek from me. Wonder if I can find some second hand..... 
    Supers are really excellent, as are the regular Classic/Classic+. I've never quite seen the point in Powertrons - they seem to be for people who want to look like they're playing a Gretsch but still sound like a muddy Les Paul.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires