NGD x2 - The Strat and The Bat!

What's Hot
LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
edited March 2019 in Guitar
The Strat

Courtesy of the lovely @Alnico , whose pictures these mostly are (I'm a terrible photographer, and I've not really had time yet!) is this rather special, modded American Pro. 

A few of you will be pissing yourselves right now, as you'll be aware of my previous forays into the land of the Stratocaster. None of my previous ones have stayed with me longer than a few weeks and I've been very vocal about my displeasure with them. 

However, on a recent visit to see the aforementioned lovely chap, I had a play with this and it didnt feel like any other strat I've played. 

As it turned out, I had something he wanted, and a convoluted deal later, this became mine.

Such a gent as our Alnico is, though, that he refused to hand it over until it had a new bone nut cut and a full setup. 

So this afternoon, he drove all the way over here and delivered it to me at Sasquatch where I was practicing with my band. 

I used it for the full practice and was absolutely blown away by how great it sounded, and how easy to play it is! 

Thank you mate! You're one in a million! I owe you hugely! 

(Doubtless there will still be sniggers from the cheap seats about me trading this on in a matter of weeks, there might even be some dibs. Actually, there are two already but hey! At this moment in time, I'm loving this guitar! Even though it's a Strat, and I don't like Strats!)

This is my only pic - in place with my other always accesible guitars!

One thing Alnico took great delight in doing was handing over another bloody hard case! Smug git! I'm down to my last inch of 'not on the bloody floor" hard case storage! 

The Bat

Then there's this... which is a new session guitar for YBTB. 

It doesn't really deserve to be on this post, but the Strat and the Bat sounded like a good Dr Seuss title for a post! 

It's getting a pickup upgrade, again courtesy of Mark. 

And that's about all I have to say about that! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    edited March 2019
    Aw man, I'd love a Steinberger as a little travel guitar to throw in the car. My friend picked one up a while back, and I thought it had a surprisingly decent tone.

Edit: I forgot to say, happy NGD! Two cracking guitars. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I'm really glad you like it.

Massive thanks to @SteveRobinson for the work he did so I could deliver it in absolutely perfect condition.

Happy Days.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    I’ve played that Strat - it’s a lovely guitar. Not sure whether to congratulate @Legionreturns or commiserate with @Alnico....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I’ve played that Strat - it’s a lovely guitar. Not sure whether to congratulate @Legionreturns or commiserate with @Alnico....
    Thank you, there's no commiserations needed.

I have an outstanding, fully loaded/upgraded MIJ Jackson as part of this deal.
    I'm very pleased a guitar I owned, cared for and helped shape into what it is now is so well liked, especially by its new owner who is a very close friend of mine anyway.

It's all a huge compliment really and believe me, the Jackson is stunning.
    I'll post some photos soon.
  • I’ve played that Strat - it’s a lovely guitar. Not sure whether to congratulate @Legionreturns or commiserate with @Alnico....
    I wouldn't worry Richard, @Alnico is going to be very happy with his side of the deal once it's ready. I still have mild pangs of regret about letting that one go! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I wouldn't worry Richard, @Alnico is going to be very happy with his side of the deal once it's ready. I still have mild pangs of regret about letting that one go! 
    He is.
    VERY happy !
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    Ooof, that Strat is gorgeous! Was the neck already scalloped or did someone modify it? Lovely dark fretboard... is it really that colour or just the lighting? Almost looks like ebony. 
    boogieman said:
    Ooof, that Strat is gorgeous! Was the neck already scalloped or did someone modify it? Lovely dark fretboard... is it really that colour or just the lighting? Almost looks like ebony. 
    The scalloping was done by Feline guitars.
    It's just the top 4 frets because by the time you've got your hand in there you're already using the edge of your fingertips. You'll never press the note sharp way up there because there's too much tension in the string at the top frets but not having any board underneath that fingertip edge makes it easier to hit without fluffing the note.

Yes the board is really that colour and it's a Dec 2016 American Professional with a rosewood board.
    The board was oiled every 2 months from new.
  • Very nice, happy NGD! I do love a white Strat with a black pickguard... :)

Since seeing that Joe Bonamassa post the other day my desire for a Steinberger bat has returned with gusto! Might have to invest next month...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • An update on the Bat! 

My local guitar shop guy is a genius! 

Couple of humbuckers from @Alnico s Ibanez, and a Tele pickup in the middle, chopped to fit and wired so that positions 2 and 4 are out of phase. 

Sounds so much better than the shitty pickups that were in it. 

He's also done a full setup. 

• handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1005
    I like your seafoam wall!
  • I like your seafoam wall!
    I'd never thought of that. Perhaps I should relic it. Mrs Returns would love it! 

• My two favourites together, both getting some Saturday afternoon practice time in. 

• AnacharsisAnacharsis Frets: 200
    I've long considered getting one of those Steinberger Spirits for experimentation. Nice pair of scores.