This trainwreck of a guitar broke my Facebook Marketplace

What's Hot
carloscarlos Frets: 3451
edited March 2019 in Guitar
"Ibernez Vintage Style Custom Rat Electro Acoustic Guitar "

1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• notanonnotanon Frets: 610
    This is a serious question: is that real or a photoshop grin? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2175
    Cleartone Conversion?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72508
    edited March 2019
    Apart from the rather pointlessly random knob positions, I quite like that.

I wouldn't do it to anything valuable of course, but it’s obviously inspired by the Martin D18E, like the one Kurt Cobain used on MTV Unplugged - and those were factory original...

I actually wonder if it got damaged, maybe where the jack socket is now or somewhere down near the switch, and the owner decided to cover it by doing that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• drippycatdrippycat Frets: 139
    I prefer version 2 of the Acoustasonic. Probably.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    ICBM said:
    Apart from the rather pointlessly random knob positions, I quite like that, however I am on serious medication at the moment.
    Fixed that for you.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    SNAKEBITE said:
    ICBM said:
    Apart from the rather pointlessly random knob positions, I quite like that, however I am on serious medication at the moment.
    Fixed that for you.
    lol - no, I came off the codeine in October .

I particularly like the slightly angled pickups - that looks like a subtle nod to Kurt’s Mustangs, since I think it’s deliberate - both are at the same angle rather than just being randomly crooked.

If the pickguard was a better shape and covered the mark from the old one properly it would look much better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1782
    @ICBM will you ship it and how much do you want for it?  ;)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ibernez  =)
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2419
    Also vaguely resembles the Burns Steer, by some distance the worst-sounding guitar I've ever heard.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2929
    tFB Trader

We put less thought into this one, my boy's dirt cheap acoustic

http://www.alleykat.co.uk/images/stuff/n_hohner/break2.jpg
    http://www.alleykat.co.uk/images/stuff/n_hohner/clamps.jpg
    http://www.alleykat.co.uk/images/stuff/n_hohner/done3.jpg

It went pop, 10 mins later had it glued up, next day nailed in the spare pickup, he's still using it a couple of years on (same strings :) )

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    YuK! I hate it
    Stuckfast said:
    Also vaguely resembles the Burns Steer, by some distance the worst-sounding guitar I've ever heard.
    Or the Virginian.

There's one of those in the shop I work for. Very cool-looking thing...

Which plays and sounds like a complete dog. Part of the problem is that the neck is too far out of the body due to being a standard electric guitar neck, part is that it's really more semi-solid than acoustic, and huge, so it weighs a ton. And it sounds like a clunky electric rather than any kind of electro-acoustic.

Still, very much a collector's item due to rarity - not surprisingly, no-one bought them originally!

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12390
    edited March 2019
    ICBM said:
    Stuckfast said:
    Or the Virginian.

There's one of those in the shop I work for. Very cool-looking thing...

Which plays and sounds like a complete dog. Part of the problem is that the neck is too far out of the body due to being a standard electric guitar neck, part is that it's really more semi-solid than acoustic, and huge, so it weighs a ton. And it sounds like a clunky electric rather than any kind of electro-acoustic.

Still, very much a collector's item due to rarity - not surprisingly, no-one bought them originally!
    Apart from the overchunky bridge, the naff pickup surrounds, the hideous scratchplate, the clunky controls, the too-big switch and the horrendously styled and too pale headstock....... I quite like that. 
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    Those converted acoustics look like fun. I’d like to do something like that to an old Aria jumbo I’ve got knocking around. One question, how do you ground the strings to prevent hum?
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    Many of those old electro acoustics from the big manufacturers were not a big success first time round but are now quite collectible . The Burns Steer & Virginian, Fender Coronado and Starcaster were not big sellers when first marketed and were  almost impossible to sell on for a reasonable price. I remember a poor guy getting laughed out of Top Gear in Denmark St when he tried to trade in a Fender Coronado.
    Those converted acoustics look like fun. I’d like to do something like that to an old Aria jumbo I’ve got knocking around. One question, how do you ground the strings to prevent hum?
    Most people don't bother, with obvious results - especially with uncovered single coil pickups.

The easiest and probably best way is to put a strip of copper shielding tape on the underside of the bridgeplate so the pins and string ball ends go through it - poke the holes through from the inside first, so they don't push the tape off again - with a soldered-on wire that goes to the electrics. (Obviously you need to solder the wire on first too!)

• That actually made me do a for-real out loud lol as I looked at the pictures... one of those slightly nervous-sounding ones though, I think
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Anyone remember the guy on eBay(?) That kept just sticking a loaded Strat pickguard on the front of acoustics? And charging a fortune for them?

Must be the same guy...