All this talk of Les Pauls..

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1297
    rlw said:
    KrisGee said:
    rlw said:
    I have a modded CE24 which I love and Vela.  Both great guitars but neither has that LP sound, although you wouldn’t expect the Vela to.
    Do yourself a favour and try an sc245. It's the most lp sounding prs I've owned and it's a great feeling instrument too. Very comfortable, stays in tune, needs no modding. 
    But it’s the wrong shape....
    It's a singlecut init?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    A good LP sounds like a Telecaster on steroids, articulate, brash and in your face 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4704
    edited March 2019
    It occurs to me that playing those LPs in the huge showroom, into a Blues Junior at waist height and pointing straight at my head, may not have been truly indicative of what they actually did sound like.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • A Les Paul should sound like Paul Kossoff playing Alright Now at the Isle of Wight

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 371
    rlw said:
    It occurs to me that playing those LPs in the huge showroom, into a Blues Junior at waist height and pointing straight at my head, may not have been truly indicative of what they actually did sound like.
    A Blues Junior is certainly not going to show off the best in a Les Paul. I have much experience with said amp and the stock ones are very mid heavy and strident, not so bad with Fender type single coils but with humbuckers they just kind of bark at you and not in a good way, particularly at  the bridge
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rlw said:
    EQ dependant, but likely.

First set up given to me on R9 testing expedition was a relatively clean flavour, which I felt hesitant about cranking...result quite predictably was a pretty dry, uninspiring tone about as stiff and uncomfortable as how I was playing as well. But that’s another story.

Amp switched out to something more Marshall flavoured made a massive difference.

We like what we like for a reason. It’s always best to test with other equipment close to home territory.
  • Jock68Jock68 Frets: 902
    It is all about the wood.  Yes it is.   Two guitars build with all the same equipment and specification by the same person..... and they sound different... you know its true, I have two.
    Jock
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    You could always check an MIJ  Greco from the 80s .
    The earlier Super Real are the most expensive,but the Mint Collection series are fantastic too.
    I have two Customs, both solid bodied and very comfortable weight wise.
     I love their sound - with stock electrics as well.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14294
    tFB Trader
    rlw said:
    A Blues Junior is certainly not going to show off the best in a Les Paul. I have much experience with said amp and the stock ones are very mid heavy and strident, not so bad with Fender type single coils but with humbuckers they just kind of bark at you and not in a good way, particularly at  the bridge
    Would tend to agree with you - Blues Junior is not a bad amp and very much a test bed amp for many - But I think it suits a single coil guitar far more than a humbucker LP based