Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed V Laney vc 30

HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
Talkin' clean tones,pedal platform only folks....the Fender RI 40 watt job or the Laney 30

Which one comes out ahead?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• theflyisbacktheflyisback Frets: 71
    edited March 2019
    I have a Laney VC30 2x12 and it’s magical for cleans and pedals.  I wanted to get rid of it for years only for what were only brand snobbery reasons but I haven’t found a better amp under four figures and have grown to know that it’s actually a bit of a classic.

the other guitarist in my band has a Fender HRD4 1x12 which is essentially the same as the tweed and I think it sounds nice but he would swap for mine in a heartbeat. Think the Laney fills the room better at all volumes. 

Drive channel on the fender is a bit nicer but we both use pedals rather than switching.  I think the Laney has a bit more headroom too so handled 18v boosts brilliantly

also think the Laney takes both single coils or humbuckers better (there are two different channel inputs for each one) whereas humbuckers on the fender sound a bit muddy. 

Im sure there are many Laneys out there for peanuts which is a shame as they are Superb. If there was one big downside it’s that it’s bloody heavy.

ive never played a 1x12 or a 2x10 which will be lighter but obviously I can’t vouch for the headroom/spread on these compared to the 2x12
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
    ^ Ta  :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2171
    Horses and courses. I found the fender to have a lovely warm clean sound. That's what i liked. It really doesn't have a drive channel, i mean it does but don't go expecting marshall levels of filth. Rolling stonesq.

I'm guessing the laney vc is a vox inspired clean? 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • DrJazzTap said:

I'm guessing the laney vc is a vox inspired clean? 
    It’s meant to be similar / inspired but I don’t think it’s full out Vox chime sounding unless you dime the treble.

the EQ is very responsive aswell so there’s a hell of a range on the clean channel.  

i would say from my ears more of a middle ground between vox and fender clean.  Which is the perfect formula. 

Theres some old reviews/demos on line of the Laney but they don’t do it justice at all against what you hear in the flesh. 

• Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Never owned a Laney, but have had a Blues Delux for about 4 years. Really good cleans - full and warm, takes pedals very well. Very nice spring reverb too. Drive channel is basic and enables you to get break up at a lower volume. I use a pedal for drive