Squire strat + pickup upgrade

What's Hot
theflyisbacktheflyisback Frets: 71
edited March 2019 in Guitar
Long story short(ish) I’ve never owned a strat as I’m a tele man myself.  I’ve always wanted one for the trem mainly, but the only reason I’ve not bought one is I’ve never felt comfortable playing one stood up for some reason (silly I know).  I’ve been debating for a while to get a mex one for a backup and for home jamming. 

Anyway, someone owes me me some money for something and they’ve offered me a pretty much a  barely played squire strat (I think an affinity series).  I’ve always found squires to punch above their weight so I’m open to taking it on as a project with the intention of upgrading the pups as an alternative route to dropping £500 on a mex version or finding the right one used. 

Just wondering if anyone has done the same and what pups they used or if it’s worth it. I want to retain a classic strat sound for something bordering surfy rock and will probably gig with it. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Tone71Tone71 Frets: 628
    I have an Affinity Strat and it is an absolute cracking guitar, sure the body is a little thinner but I swapped the PUPs out for a set of Wilkinsons (sorry cant remember the specifics as it was years ago) and it is great and still gets played daily.

The only issue I have is that I play a Tele with my palm on the bridge and find that using that technique it rolls down the volume on the Strat.

Good luck and enjoy.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14517
    The Seymour Duncan Twangbanger pickup is supposed to have some of the Tele twang about it. Unfortunately, a brand new one would probably cost more than your project guitar is worth.

The Squier Affinity STRAT tends to go better with a humbucker as the bridge/Treble position pickup. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I’ve just changed my original post from saying tele sound to strat as that’s what I meant. Sorry funkfingers don’t know why I said that! 
  • I did have an affinity tele and it was solid build wise but the pickups were too top end harsh. Hence why I’d look to swap them out.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12413
    I put an axes r us loaded pickguard in my old squire standard as the pots aren't great either. I was really happy with it. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14517
    edited March 2019
    Sorry funkfingers don’t know why I said that! 
    No problem.

Meanwhile, I am torn between whether to encourage your Squier Affinity STRAT modifications or caution you against them. On the one hand, you will certainly learn from whatever you attempt on the STRAT. On the other hand, there are almost certainly wiser ways to deploy your disposable income. 

If I were hoping to get an authentically Stratty-sounding guitar, I would not begin with a Squier Affinity STRAT.

If the basis of my guitar project were a Squier Affinity STRAT, I would be aiming for something that it can excel at AND for a reasonable overall budget.

Something that I know does work is 1x MIC STRAT, 1x high output humbucker, 1x Volume control, 1x Passive treble roll off Tone control. This formula works equally well with the Hello Kitty model and the Affinity. The result ought to be crap but, somehow, it works very well.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckee said:
    I put an axes r us loaded pickguard in my old squire standard as the pots aren't great either. I was really happy with it. 
    Just has a look on their site. The Texas blues option looks and sounds very appealing. Might just give that a shot
  • Sorry funkfingers don’t know why I said that! 
    No problem.

Meanwhile, I am torn between whether to encourage your Squier Affinity STRAT modifications or caution you against them. On the one hand, you will certainly learn from whatever you attempt on the STRAT. On the other hand, there are almost certainly wiser ways to deploy your disposable income. 

If I were hoping to get an authentically Stratty-sounding guitar, I would not begin with a Squier Affinity STRAT.

If the basis of my guitar project were a Squier Affinity STRAT, I would be aiming for something that it can excel at AND for a reasonable overall budget.

Something that I know does work is 1x MIC STRAT, 1x high output humbucker, 1x Volume control, 1x Passive treble roll off Tone control. This formula works equally well with the Hello Kitty model and the Affinity. The result ought to be crap but, somehow, it works very well.
    Cheers. 

Ive just never desired a strat in the same way I would a tele for some reason. 

If if I had pro guitar money to drop at the minute I would probably opt for a jazzmaster or jag at that price point over a strat.

The affinity project is an ideal starter for me particularly as I want to master the art of a soldering iron. If I can get something giggable at £200-£250 with mods it seems a better option than double on a mex fender, particularly as I will have the shell for free.

Main base I would want to cover is that I do hit the bridge pick up more than the neck so if I am at entry level strat price I think the pickups would be the first thing I would change out from my experience of squiers 
  • rossirossi Frets: 1705
    i bought an Affinity Strat for 30 quid .A nice burst and rosewood affair .I did a fret level  but that was about  all ,new strings etc .It  played nice and sounded good after teh pickups were loweredc.I later installed a loaded pickguard with some Wilkingsons  and its was even better.Of course  sold the bloody thing as usual in bits ,made a nice profit but then regretted it .I then bought a red SE for 40 and put a Squier Joe Trohman neck I had laying around with a jammed trussrod nut .I put a set of Maida Vale pups in it and its good to go if a trifle heavier  as I am very old and worn out .,The neck has remained stable for about a year so no issues I wish I had kept the Affinty now as it was light and sweet
    .By the way if you  put more expensive pickups in its not a waste of money .If you sell the guitar pull them out and sell them   separately .You will probably make most of your money back.Or of course upgrade the whole guitar and put em in that .
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    Have a look at Ironstone pickups they’re great value for money. I’ve used them to upgrade Squiers in the past with outstanding results.