Doing without compression and swirlies

What's Hot
noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 799
edited March 2019 in FX
I keep thinking about bringing my Pedaltrain Jr back into use so I can have compression, chorus and an extra drive. Not sure how much I’d actually use them though.

Currently using a Nano+ with one drive, boost, delay, trem and tuner, and to be honest it’s really nice having such a small board, and that’s without even thinking about another isolated power supply on a bigger board.

Anyone regularly play songs where the original has chorus and/or compression as a noticeable effect, but you play it without?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I've managed to do without chorus ever since it was first invented.
    Never had any complaints for not using it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Use Chorus quite a bit, not least for 12 string-like sounds.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback

• I guess it depends on what you are playing but my wedding band board is Tuner - Klone - TS (core tone) - Dark Matter (stacking drive) - Chorus - Delay. I only really used Compression for single coils and as a volume boost so the TS serves that purpose.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    I gave up chorus in the 90's and never looked back.

I had an old Ibanez CS-9 which had become somewhat of a crutch, my rig didn't sound right without it on all the time. I had to go cold turkey.

I say again, it was the 90's.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7787
    Ditch the tuner pedal for a polytune clip on and add a phase 45, you can use the slow speeds for a nice warble and crank it up for a tremolo type sound too.