Really rare amp for Sale Trace Elliot Velocette Twin £1200 with hum (hum adds to the price)

What's Hot
guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1028
This popped up on Face book this morning until someone else pointed out that they had seen a working one on Reverb for abound £850 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/332894837345644/

https://reverb.com/uk/item/11105553-trace-elliot-velocette-twin-boxed-very-rare-combo-vg

How can it be worth £1200 ?

“Ken sent me.”
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72573
    The hum is most likely cooked power valves. They sound good when they work, but are notoriously unreliable - badly designed, poorly made, run far too hot and eat valves, and sometimes transformers.

I wouldn’t pay more than £400 for one in full working and sorted order, let alone two or three times that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30306
    His enthusiastic write-up must be worth something, surely?
    Sassafras said:
    His enthusiastic write-up must be worth something, surely?
    A career in political campaigning?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1028
    ICBM said:
    The hum is most likely cooked power valves. They sound good when they work, but are notoriously unreliable - badly designed, poorly made, run far too hot and eat valves, and sometimes transformers.

I wouldn’t pay more than £400 for one in full working and sorted order, let alone two or three times that.
    I would have said around £550, based on other rare one's being sold on ebay. Looks like he copied the blurb from Reverb and thought no one would google the prices. 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    They often crop up for 300-400£. The Goldtones fetch more (power of having a Gibson badge eh!?!)
    Parker said:
    They often crop up for 300-400£. The Goldtones fetch more (power of having a Gibson badge eh!?!)
    The later black Goldtones are actually quite a bit better made - they fixed some of the faults, although they then doubled the price! Gibson were apparently not happy about the level of warranty returns on them...

The irony is that Gibson are often blamed for buying Trace Elliot and 'ruining' the quality, but the exact opposite is true. Trace had already gone down the pan by then, and if anything Gibson fixed some of the crap models and dropped the ones that couldn't be.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2171
    @ICBM. Cured me of my trace elliot nostalgia induced affection of them. The £200 Rivera is far better built. If i wanted a small valve amp id go for a laney lc15.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16146
    The Goldtones are an amazing sounding amp - I have had a number of them ;they have different output transformers although the valve seats were still plastic that melts 
    A decent Goldtone twin stereo reverb in good condition will sell for £850 all day long - the Velocettes are much less valuable