Best High End Tele CS and others

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17636
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:

Do you like relics?  You will have a very limited choice of Fender CS if you don't.  I'd be tempted to get someone to build me one.  Dominic Gray is local to me so I might go to him.  Or there other builders like Feline and Eternal.

Andertons do have Dominic Gray guitars in stock:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/electric-guitars/gray-guitars-admiral-in-see-through-blonde-inc-case-admiral-2ts18-ad-002

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/gray-guitars-admiral-in-daphne-blue-inc-case

I don't mind light Relics especially as my other two guitars I'm keeping are naturally reliced.
    I don't like heavy relics as they always look really fake. 

I'll take a look at those Dominic Gray ones.

A secondhand customshop Fender would actually be not far off the price of getting a Feline Tabby Classic built though I associate Jonathan more with awesome flamey LP type designs and 80's widdle sticks rather than 50's type Teles.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3081
    edited March 2019
    The CS nocaster seems like the obvious choice.

The other one that looked interesting was the US Hot Rod because I think it's a 52 AVRI with big frets.
    I just did the AVRI journey and tried some Hot Rods and American Originals as well as the 52ri guitars (what I ended up with). The frets and radii didn't feel all that different between the three - the neck is a bit fatter on the AO but that's about it. It's not something I think about - I'm still very much in the honeymoon phase so please take this into account

@Caffeine_Vampire loves the Hot Rods iirc.

If you want/can afford a CS then obvs. go for it though.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Keep an eye out for some of the older CS stuff. In 2016 I was about to buy a new CS Tele and when trying a few in GAK I noticed they had a second hand 2009 64 relic. Was much cheaper than the new ones but ticked all the important boxes: super light, resonant with a great feeling neck. It’s black (not my favourite colour) and a relic (also not my first choice) but it’s such a great playing and sounding guitar I couldn’t resist.

In the OP’s shoes I would visit as many stores as possible and play a bunch of different guitars and get the one that clicks for you. One of them will.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Is it still a proper Tele to you if it doesn't have the Fender headstock?

Could you live with Macmull's headstock? Their T-style is favourably regarded, but the head is erring toward Tyler territory.

Suhr would offer gut/arm cuts, which superstrat softies like me worry about, but would likely crush resale.

• johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    No idea how they play but was in Peach the other day and saw the LSL guitars they've got there - they were all stunning.

http://www.peachguitars.com/lsl-guitars

• Anderson makes exceptional ‘posh’ Fenders but for me somehow manages to engineer the character out of the designs. They’re too ‘perfect’. The same applies to Suhr though I don’t think they’re as good as Andersons, generally.
    Tend to agree with you - Build quality is excellent - Very slick easy action

I tend to say it sounds more like Aled Jones singing as against Otis Redding - ie just to pure with less soul

Again I tend to agree ref Suhr but the Alt T Pro thinline style is excellent - Not sure how they pulled this out of the bag, but one of the best T's I've played
    At the risk of being accused of self-interested promotion I agree with Mark that the Alt T Pro is great. Has all the advantages of a good tele and some modern features that make it the best playing T type I have ever had. If only my current circumstance were slightly different, it would not be for sale.

Even with the flawless build it does feel a bit vintage (ish) 

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2806
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2200
    Xotic XTC-1 is worth a look 
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    johnl said:
    No idea how they play but was in Peach the other day and saw the LSL guitars they've got there - they were all stunning.

http://www.peachguitars.com/lsl-guitars

They look sublime. Except for the beltsander armpit bit. Just too much. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I’d go American Original probably 
    tFB Trader
    The LSL is a perfect example of the tasteful relic look which bares no resemblance to an actual old guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    crunchman said:

Do you like relics?  You will have a very limited choice of Fender CS if you don't.  I'd be tempted to get someone to build me one.  Dominic Gray is local to me so I might go to him.  Or there other builders like Feline and Eternal.

Andertons do have Dominic Gray guitars in stock:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/electric-guitars/gray-guitars-admiral-in-see-through-blonde-inc-case-admiral-2ts18-ad-002

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/gray-guitars-admiral-in-daphne-blue-inc-case

If you mean Tom Gray, then yes, his guitars are exceptionally good.

Ive only played the s type. Despite straying from the traditional style that i prefer, it seemed to somehow have a lot more 'soul' than most posh teles.

The necks are really stonkingly good
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    dindude said:
    I’d go American Original probably 
    I’ve got a 50’s American Original fitted with Bare Knuckle blackguard flat 50’s. Might be tempted to sell.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9320
    I still don’t think anyone does Teles better than the custom shop and as above, the ultimate tele is a nocaster. 
    If you’re close, a day at coda would allow you try different pickups, neck shapes and styles. They’ve got a load of 52s and 54s in with different neck shapes (and I think a twisted tele in the neck, which should be the law on cs teles as far as I’m concerned). There’s a also a few rosewood boards with fatter than mid 60s c. If you can’t find a great tele amongst that lot, you should probably buy a bc rich
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    I noticed you’re selling a Gretsch to make way for a Tele. Would a thinline Tele appeal?

I love mine - it’s ‘only’ a MiM but it’s a great tool.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    tFB Trader
    Hmm not especially.

I think I'd either have a proper semi or a Tele but not a halfway house.
    edited March 2019
    Understood. I’ll leave this here though on the off chance 

tFB Trader
    That is very cool but I'm assuming it's a million billion pounds.
    edited March 2019
    That is very cool but I'm assuming it's a million billion pounds.
    They aren’t exactly cheap. Thankfully I don’t like the fretboard wear on any maple neck relics so wouldn’t go for one. They do a NOS version though...

Here’s the relic.

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Fender-Custom-Shop-LTD-Relic-50s-Thinline-Tele-Pink-Paisley-R17960/2JQS?origin=product-ads&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIndXwzNql4QIVLZPtCh3a2QMhEAQYASABEgLCWvD_BwE
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1739
    I'm thinking about selling some gear to get a really nice Tele like a Custom Shop or similar.

I've had a CV and a G&L Special in the past but neither are "proper teles"

The best thing I've played so far has been a 52 AVRI but it did have piddly frets which I didn't like, but it did look cool and it went BRRRANG! Which is really my number one priority.

So are CS really worth the extra?
    Are Anderson's or Suhrs better?

Tell me all that I should know.
    I’ve just bought a Scott Walker Jimson and it’s the best Tele style I’ve ever seen/played