AC30 vr

smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 672
One of my mate’s offering me his Vox AC30 vr for £120 as he needs a quick sale.

Are these amps any good? £120 seems like a steal, even if I was to try and sell it on.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

Cheers guys
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72573
    They’re good amps let down by poor speakers. If you plan to keep it and use it, budget for some good replacements - at £120 you’ll be able to without spending more than it will be worth.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• The other guitarist in my band had one of these.  Great sounding and perfectly giggable amp but prone to a few failures (but easy if annoying fixes) if your playing it loud and throwing it in and out of your car boot regularly seemingly.  £120 is a steal.    
  • I'm considering selling mine, and it's fair to say I'll be asking more than £120!  Looking at eBay, that's about half the going rate (assuming good condition). 

It's a good amp - a reasonable facsimile of proper Vox-y cleans and crunch, and *much* more drive than you expect to come out of a Vox.  ICBM is unsurprisingly right about the speakers; mine sounds quite a bit better through even a 10" Jensen than it does through its own 2x12".
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    They have them in our rehearsal rooms and they are pretty 'spiky'. I wouldn't buy one.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72573
    rico said:
    They have them in our rehearsal rooms and they are pretty 'spiky'. I wouldn't buy one.
    Try one through good speakers. I did, more or less by accident while tracking down a nasty distortion (which turned out to be a microphonic valve) and I was astonished how much better it sounded. Hence comment above... the *amp* is fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    ICBM said:
    rico said:
    Try one through good speakers. I did, more or less by accident while tracking down a nasty distortion (which turned out to be a microphonic valve) and I was astonished how much better it sounded. Hence comment above... the *amp* is fine.
    I concur completely - good speakers in these amps totally transforms them. A friend of mine had one of these years ago and I thought it wasn't nice sounding at all - quite harsh & raspy as you cranked it, and lacking the warmth you associate with an AC30.  But he upgraded the speaker and the difference was chalk & cheese - you really wouldn't think it was the same amp. I'm not 100% sure but I think he put in a couple of 12" Celestion Greenbacks but I can't recall the version. The tone was way richer, warmer, with a much nicer breakup, and more responsive to the guitar volume roll off. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)