Neck/Shoulder Pain

What's Hot
BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2184
Anyone else suffer from shoulder pain when practicing sitting down for long periods?

It seems to get me in the Traps and they become really tight. I’m sitting in a decent chair and trying to sit up straight. No strap either. 

Any suggested stretches to Ed to release the tension? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    I get bad cramps between the shoulders after playing for a couple of hours - standing or sitting. I've found that it is being hunched over reading the music is the issue - get the music stand higher, straight ahead rather than to the side (or simply lose it altogether of course).
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3577
    Guitar ergonomics are the culprit for me, more so than weight. Strat - no worries; Tele - hurts after a half hour.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3577
    Some exercises. Extend arms, resting back of one hand inside othrr, fingers outstretched. Extend further, stretching shoulders. 

Lie on floor, interlace fingers behind head and gently bring chin to chest.

Arm rotations. 

Really, though, I'd spend £40 or so and go and see a sports physio. You probably need a deep tissue massage.

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I find that limiting my practice to 5 mins per hour with the other 55 minutes watching YouTube reviews works well. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12390
    Fuengi said:
    I find that limiting my practice to 5 mins per hour with the other 55 minutes watching YouTube reviews works well. 
    It was a 50/50 between lol and wisdom!
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4141
    Been suffering it a long time, especially when playing my Les Paul. Tried all kinds of straps, none helped.

Until I got this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07281SLFH/

Absolutely fantastic, hardly feel the weight of any guitar now and my shoulder is much better.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11453
    Do you do any exercise?  I found my neck and shoulders got a lot better when I joined a gym.

@Greatape has a point about guitar ergonomics as well.  One of the key things with that is the angle of the neck.  On a Fender, there is no angle on the neck, but on a Gibson the neck is angled back.  Other things on the geometry make a difference as well.  Something like an SG has the far end of the neck further away in a normal playing position because the neck/body join is so high up the neck.
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    I gave up playing sitting down except for acoustic and that helped massively with this.

I'm sure trying to work on improved sitting posture would help too but I went for the lazier option.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    Been suffering it a long time, especially when playing my Les Paul. Tried all kinds of straps, none helped.

Until I got this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07281SLFH/

That looks the biz, gives you a massage too no doubt ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    Fuengi said:
    I also swear by this method and awarded the appropriate lol. Damn my GAS
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
    A visit to a sports therapist is a good suggestion, they'll release your traps so that you can keep on top of it. Buy a hockey ball off amazon (a few quid) and lie on top of it on the floor, leaning your traps into the ball. It'll be pretty excruciating at times but less so over time. You can also do wall slides to strengthen the muscles around the thoracic spine and improve your posture. Also, there's a product on Amazon called the backpod, it's made by a guy in New Zealand and costs a pretty penny but is excellent for releasing the joints between your spine and ribs in your back. I bought one after suffering with costochondritis for over a year and it's worked wonders. With our tendancy to sit in hunched positions these days, not just playing the guitar but using a computer, watching TV, using a smartphone, something akin to the backpod is essential in my opinion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom