NGD

What's Hot
mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
I have had a lot of different styles of guitars over the years; Les Paul, 335, Strat, Tele, Junior, Esquire, Ibanez Satriani to name just a few. Whilst I have enjoyed trying them out I came to the realisation that Les Paul’s were the one for me.

By then I had (and still have) a nice 2007 Standard. I also had quite a collection of other guitars. So I decided that rather than have lots of nice guitars that I really liked I would try to find a couple of exceptional guitars that I absolutely love. One was the Standard I already had and after playing lots I decided I really wanted an R8. 

So after lots of looking, trying, selling and trading, yesterday I did a deal on this beauty

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5q0cbrgm2gsr8sx/Photo%2029-03-2019%2C%2014%2046%2049.jpg?dl=0

It’s a 2009 VOS R8, chambered and it is mega! I thought my 2007 standard was good but this is a step above. I’m glad I took my time as I wanted to find one I loved and I genuinely love this. Lots of gigs up coming so I’m now just gonna gig the crap out of it probably with a stupid grin on my face the whole time!!

Would also like to mention Tim from Leo and Ted’s electric guitars whom I bought this from. Genuinely really great bloke, I have got to know him recently as we have done a couple of deals and I can’t recommend him highly enough. So if your looking to sell, trade or buy guitars please consider him especially for fender and Gibson style guitars
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
    A delightful specimen for sure.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Congrats. You did the legwork and its paid off. Enjoy!

BTW I cant see your pic at all :(
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    Lovely!
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5854
    Piccie No Workie for Me!
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Phil_CPhil_C Frets: 252
    AAhhh can't see the picture :(
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Beautiful! HNGD :)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Picture doesn't show on my screen, or else they took the chambering too far.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4783
    edited March 2019
    I'm no Les Paul expert, so this is a genuine question. I didn't think LPs were chambered in 1958, so how can the OPs guitar be considered a VOS guitar if it is chambered? Any LP experts care to help me learn something? 

I'm not trying to diss the OPs new guitar in any way. A new guitar that you love is a wonderful thing and I'm really pleased for him. I am just surprised that a chambered guitar would get the Vintage Original Spec tag. Or is Gibson moving away from their original definition of what VOS means? 
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
    Sassafras said:
    I’m not sure why some people can see the photo and others not, is it something to do with Dropbox? Anyone any ideas?
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Sassafras said:
    I’m not sure why some people can see the photo and others not, is it something to do with Dropbox? Anyone any ideas?
    I can see it on my iPhone (I have the drop box app, and the link you posted takes me to the app) whereas it shows as a (missing) embedded image on the laptop.
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
    I'm no Les Paul expert, so this is a genuine question. I didn't think LPs were chambered in 1958, so how can the OPs guitar be considered a VOS guitar if it is chambered? Any LP experts care to help me learn something? 

I'm not trying to diss the OPs new guitar in any way. A new guitar that you love is a wonderful thing and I'm really pleased for him. I am just surprised that a chambered guitar would get the Vintage Original Spec tag. Or is Gibson moving away from their original definition of what VOS means? 
    I would be interested to know about this too. Definitely don’t think you are dissing my new guitar. To be honest I got a bit lost in the specifics of the different custom Les Paul specs so I narrowed it down to my simple essential requirements. I wanted a slightly more plain top and I liked the bigger neck profile so that led me to the R8. I liked the vibe of the ‘de shined’ finish on the VOS ones over the gloss so I looked at VOS from a visual aesthetic perspective.

I just tried to find the best guitar I could within those broad limits and not worry too much beyond that. It’s a cracking guitar so ultimately I’m very happy, but I would like to know a bit more about what VOS really means and it’s relationship to the guitars being chambered or not.

I would be interested to know about this too. Definitely don’t think you are dissing my new guitar. To be honest I got a bit lost in the specifics of the different custom Les Paul specs so I narrowed it down to my simple essential requirements. I wanted a slightly more plain top and I liked the bigger neck profile so that led me to the R8. I liked the vibe of the ‘de shined’ finish on the VOS ones over the gloss so I looked at VOS from a visual aesthetic perspective.

I just tried to find the best guitar I could within those broad limits and not worry too much beyond that. It’s a cracking guitar so ultimately I’m very happy, but I would like to know a bit more about what VOS really means and it’s relationship to the guitars being chambered or not.
    Let's see if the masses of TFB can bring forth an answer. I've got a 2009 '59 VOS (Washed Cherry Burst) and it's lovely but very heavy! Like you, I just kept trying guitars until I had to stop because I'd run out of money. It was much nicer to play than the 2009 Standards I tried. (Actually, a Vintage Lemon Drop that I tried was nicer than the Standards, too - and would have been a lot cheaper!)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14267
    tFB Trader

Correct in that no chambered LP in 58 existed -  But the Custom Shop team have a poetic licence to adjust as required - Maybe the die hard vintage fans don't agree with it, but a market, albeit small, exists for such a product - To a large degree it retains its vintage ethos - To be fair, in the main Gibson run more true to the vintage originals, with less such variations than Fender do

Fender offer most guitars now with a 9.5" fingerboard radius and larger frets as that is what most of today's customers require - Not historically correct at all - Ditto with certain finishes they offer - Ditto Strat bridge pick up wired to a tone pot - ditto a thinline style 50's Tele - I can go on and on - The Custom Shop nature allows for such changes as required

Personally I think it is a good thing, providing most of the historically integrity and ethos is retained - Would be a bland market if all guitar shops had the same identical R8
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    edited March 2019
    @TheBigDipper ;

Counter-intuitively, 'VOS' refers to the finish - it's not supposed to denote that a guitar is historically accurate. VOS is a lightly rubbed finish and the hardware is lightly tarnished, in contrast to a high-gloss finish. For example, Gibson Memphis did a run of 335s with Bigsbys last year that weren't reissues of a particular year but had a VOS finish.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Brize said:
    @TheBigDipper ;

Counter-intuitively, 'VOS' refers to the finish - it's not supposed to denote that a guitar is historically accurate. VOS is a lightly rubbed finish and the hardware is lightly tarnished, in contrast to a high-gloss finish. For example, Gibson Memphis did a run of 335s with Bigsbys last year that weren't reissues of a particular year but had a VOS finish.
    Oh. I didn't know that. Ta. Which explains why the OPs lovely new guitar can be chambered and yet still be tagged as VOS. 
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    edited March 2019 tFB Trader
    Brize said:
    @TheBigDipper ;;

Yes this...

You don't see it on their site any more but often you would get two versions of the same guitar.. One is all shiny and new and one was called the VOS finish.. Which is aged or distressed in some way. They would do this with USA Signature models too.. Sometimes there would be three versions. A standard finish, VOS finish and VOS signed....

Actually I just went an looked.. If you look at the specs of this guitar where it says Finish.. It says VOS..  So yeah, not the guitar, just the finish..

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/CUSFXC951/60th-Anniversary-1959-Les-Paul-Standard

Rabs said:
    Brize said:
    @TheBigDipper ;

Yes this...

You don't see it on their site any more but often you would get two versions of the same guitar.. One is all shiny and new and one was called the VOS finish.. Which is aged or distressed in some way. They would do this with USA Signature models too.. Sometimes there would be three versions. A standard finish, VOS finish and VOS signed....

It's just my ignorance of most things Gibson. I bought my Les Paul, second hand, in 2009 (actually, according to the serial no it was built in 2008). It's a Custom Shop Reissue of a '59 Standard, and - yes - it has a VOS finish and all the case candy. But I didn't really know much about the different types of LP Standard when I was buying it - it was just the one I thought played the best and sounded good to my ears - compared to several others I played at different shops. Sadly, it nudged my budget somewhat, but I was happy to find the extra for this one and not happy to pay a lot less for the "ordinary" LP Standards I tried. I really did like the Vintage Lemon Drop  over most of those. 

• RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader
    Rabs said:
    Brize said:
    @TheBigDipper ;

Yes this...

It's just my ignorance of most things Gibson. I bought my Les Paul, second hand, in 2009 (actually, according to the serial no it was built in 2008). It's a Custom Shop Reissue of a '59 Standard, and - yes - it has a VOS finish and all the case candy. But I didn't really know much about the different types of LP Standard when I was buying it - it was just the one I thought played the best and sounded good to my ears - compared to several others I played at different shops. Sadly, it nudged my budget somewhat, but I was happy to find the extra for this one and not happy to pay a lot less for the "ordinary" LP Standards I tried. I really did like the Vintage Lemon Drop  over most of those. 

Yeah I was much the same when I bought my first standard level type guitar.. I had never even seen the Gibson website at that point (2002).. I only knew about what I saw in the shops.. I had previously had a LP Studio but always found the neck a bit chunky..   All I knew at that point was that I wanted a darkburst and a Standard like my guitar heroes..

When I tried it I was so disappointed as the neck was probably even more chunky.. So the shop owner gave me a Classic to try.. It was night and day the difference for me... I had no idea what a Classic was, I just knew it felt great to play. And its probably better that way. I think some times we can over think this whole process..  Just go with what sounds and feels good to you.. I was also very thankful that the same guy told me about nitrocellulose and rubber on guitar stands or I would have been in for a huge shock  :) 

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    When I first saw a VOS guitar in the flesh several years ago I was confused why the saddle screws etc. would be rusty on a brand-new guitar. I soon came round, though, and I much prefer VOS over gloss - that worn-in look and feel but without the dings really does it for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Brize said:
    When I first saw a VOS guitar in the flesh several years ago I was confused why the saddle screws etc. would be rusty on a brand-new guitar. I soon came round, though, and I much prefer VOS over gloss - that worn-in look and feel but without the dings really does it for me.
    Unfortunately, I dinged the headstock on mine within 30 minutes of owning it! But you'd need to get far to close to me to see it...