String gauge for detuned query...

What's Hot
KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

Greetings,

In the 'band' we have got together at work, amongst the covers we tried is Biffy Clyro's Captain, which seems to be in drop C tuning. All my guitars have variations on a theme of 10's for strings. These seem a little 'flappy' at drop C.
What gauge would you recommend for this, instead of 10's. They will be going on either a 25" or Gibson LP scale guitar.

Ta muchly,
Adam

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    11s or 12s. Try 11s (preferably 11-50 or 11-52 rather than 11-49) first because you'll probably get away without widening the nut grooves, which you won't with 12s.

Either that, or if it's just for one song, consider a Digitech Drop pedal - not cheap, but works extremely well and will avoid needing to take another guitar - or two, if you're gigging and need spares.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Thanks ICBM - will try some 11's. Didn't realise a pedal could do the work also...
  • D'Addario 11-56 set is worth a go.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Kalimna said:
    Thanks ICBM - will try some 11's. Didn't realise a pedal could do the work also...
    Well, it will give you D standard - you'll still need to drop the bottom string to C (D on the actual guitar) manually.

It really does work remarkably well - I was sceptical until I heard one, but in a band mix it's really hard to tell it's not a down-tuned guitar. The guitarist in my band has used one as far down as C standard and it sounded fine, especially with a bit of dirt on.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    edited March 2019
    I keep seeing stuff about the Digitech Drop. Does the Whammy have a similar setting? If I'm intending to get a Whammy anyway, am I going to be wasting my time with a Drop as well?

Edit - Ignore. Answered my own question - The Whammy DT does this too, but a regular Whammy doesn't, by the look of it.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited March 2019
    I've got an unused set of D'Addario 12-60 which are too light for me to use with tuning down to B standard.
    I was going to use them for tuning down to D but then changed my mind.
    They'd work for tuning down to C standard.

You'll need some nut files / a Tech if your guitar has a traditional style nut.

You can have them in the post for early next week if you want them?
    I don't want anything for them and it's £1 to post them so give a pound to the next homeless person you see from me if you want?
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have been using Ernie ball skinny Top heavy bottoms 10-52 for drop b quite comfortably.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

Alnico - That's very kind of you indeed, but I think I have some 11's somewhere which I shall try first. Before I have to go re-filing nuts!

Cheers,

Adam

Kalimna said:

Alnico - That's very kind of you indeed, but I think I have some 11's somewhere which I shall try first. Before I have to go re-filing nuts!

Cheers,

Adam

No worries.
    These will stay in the stack of new strings until I or someone needs them.
    Those 12-60 strings have food a new home now.