SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Wanted: Someone to fix my SD pickup

What's Hot
InactiveXInactiveX Frets: 294
I have a Seymour Duncan SH-2N that is in a bit of a state and I'm looking for someone to fix it for me.

It has the outer tape removed, the wires are very short, and there is a stray black wire hanging off it.

Can anyone see to it?

Thanks!
Don’t follow influencers
Watch the parking meters
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8800
    You could start by talking to a pickup maker such as @TheGuitarWeasel or @Alegree ;
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14640
    Where are you located?

How many separate insulated conductor wires emerge from the outer insulation of the output cable? 

Is the “stray black” wire the same thickness as the red, white and green wires in the output cable or is it skinny and protruding from the end of one of the humbucker’s bobbins?

The easiest solution to suggest is a replacement output cable. Unfortunately, this task is a pig to perform and probably unwise to attempt without confidence and experience.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1801
    Any good pickup guy can fix this for you but dependent on labour rates and estimated time to complete you might just be better off getting a working 2nd hand one off eBay or here if anyone is selling often finish around 34-44 quid

if you have time then there are plenty of videos on fixing or putting in another output cable. Yes it’s fiddly if you are not used to soldering fine wire but if you screw it up first time there is plenty more turns on the bobbin.

just mark the pieces so  they can be reassembled the correct way same with magnets etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4978
    Alegree fixed a couple of pickups for me; I'll be back with a couple more which need doing when I get around to it.
    Here is a Gibson '57 Classic humbucker that I re-cabled myself. (NOTE: The lumpy appearance of the black tape at the left end of the pickup, where the four soldered joints are made and, then, insulated.) I have left the 4-con + shield output cable ridiculously long in case I ever decide to try the pickup in a 335 type guitar. While I was in there, I also swapped the original polished A2 magnet to a rough cast UOA5. 

https://i.imgur.com/ZVn7qWq.jpg?1
  • InactiveXInactiveX Frets: 294
    edited March 2019
    Funkfingers said:
    Where are you located?

How many separate insulated conductor wires emerge from the outer insulation of the output cable? 

Is the “stray black” wire the same thickness as the red, white and green wires in the output cable or is it skinny and protruding from the end of one of the humbucker’s bobbins?

The easiest solution to suggest is a replacement output cable. Unfortunately, this task is a pig to perform and probably unwise to attempt without confidence and experience.

Thanks for all your replies people. Very nice.

Funkfingers, I am in Somerset, UK. I will get that profile filled in!

I solder well, so I'll fix the output cable myself. The real problem for me is how and where to reattach the black cable. It is connected to a green wire that goes back into the pup, and the connection is surrounded by a small area of electrical tape.

I'm prepared to do some dissection on this pickup, and maybe sacrifice it for knowledge's sake.

Is there anything I should try next? Can the black wire be reattached? Should I peel off the next layer of tape? Any recommended resources?

Ta!
    Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
    I recommend that you post a few photographs of the offending pickup. This may clarify the problem.

Normally, on Duncan humbuckers, the connections from the start and finish of the coil on each bobbin are insulated black and white, respectively. Thus, skinny black to green is the negative conductor from the screw coil. The soldered joint between these two wires should be insulated and then tucked away in the gap at one end of the humbucker. 

An unconnected black insulated wire is a bad sign. In a humbucker with single conductor and braided shield output cable, if you are lucky, the loose end of black insulated wire is the one that should be soldered to either the pickup baseplate or the output cable conductor.

Given all of the other alterations that have been made to your pickup, I would hazard the guess that the stray black wire was torn during an careless bar magnet swap.
  • InactiveXInactiveX Frets: 294
    OK I see. I think I'll leave it. It's not a pickup I am using. I'll probably dismantle it for fun.

Cheers!
    Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters