telecaster pickups? Something 'tele' but with extra 'zap'??

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
edited April 2019 in Guitar
I fancy some different pickups for my Tele build. I like things that look trad, but I can never seem to get away from turning the gain up on my guitars and rocking out. What could I do to keep tele character but also add some gain/sustain loveliness, maybe at the flick of a switch?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    Oil City Hardman
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Oil city alligator 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14537
    Seymour Duncan Custom Shop BG-1400 or the Billy Gibbons Gilly Tele Lead.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    SD quarter pounder ticks all the boxes ;)
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12414
    Not a switching thing but my roadworn had texas specials in, hotter vintage style pickups, they weren't my favourite clean sound as they were a little beefy compared to the real country twang I was looking for, but any dirt at all they sounded terrific.  My roadworn was ash with maple if that makes any difference.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14323
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    Oil City Hardman
    Oil city alligator 
    just had a set of Honky Tonk Angels for a project - excellent - controlled balls/bite/twang from the bridge - warm/lush/clarity neck - Maybe more traditional than others but excellent - use a pedal if you need more
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9718
    edited April 2019
    Oil city alligator 
    Like @stimpsonslostson I’ve got an Alligator 90 in my Esquire-alike. Beautifully made, but have to admit that I wasn’t totally convinced at first. However It was just a case of learning how to get the best from it. With the guitar’s volume between 0 and about 6 or 7 it’s pure Tele. Above that it turns into a bit of a snarling P90 rock monster. Once you understand its Jekyll and Hyde character you’ll realise just how good and versatile it actually is. I’m very pleased indeed. However, if I was buying again I’d possibly be considering the Kayman 90 which is the Alligator’s warmer sounding sibling,
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    munckee said:
    Not a switching thing but my roadworn had texas specials in, hotter vintage style pickups, they weren't my favourite clean sound as they were a little beefy compared to the real country twang I was looking for, but any dirt at all they sounded terrific.  My roadworn was ash with maple if that makes any difference.
    Thats what I thought too.. my tele has the texas specials, they certainly gain up. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • pluckbuddypluckbuddy Frets: 289
    Another option is a zhangbucker Paul Bunyan pickup. I have one with coil taps at 7k and 9.5k. Both taps sound like a tele but the latter definitely has more authority in the mids and bass, without sounding muddy. It's a lot of fun when you turn the wick up.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33821
    Check out Harmonic Designs.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    edited April 2019
    An Iron Gear overwound Steel Twin tapped bridge pickup paired with an Alegree Stratocaster Toned neck pickup works very well on one of my partscasters. I switch the boost on the bridge pickup via a push- pull switched volume pot.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9347
    Twisted tele bridge. Overwound and very ballsy, but cleans up well. Great pair with the twisted at the neck too
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8743
    axisus said:
    .. What could I do to keep tele character but also add some gain/sustain loveliness, maybe at the flick of a switch?
    Oil City Wapping Wharf. It’s a tapped single coil, so literally flick the switch and it goes from thin to thick
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
    I had a barenuckle Piledriver in an Esquire build. With the guitar volume up full it could sit alongside my humbucking guitars for gain, power and ability to drive the amp. Roll the volume back slightly and it was classic Tele bridge position. Great pickup!!
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Ok - controversial opinion.

I've had a couple of CS Teles and a couple of vintage ones - I think one of the real dangers of these hotter pickups is they stop being what a Tele pickup means to me. Played a couple of CS guitars recently and loved them, then went home and my old (66) Tele just has more about it.

The modern ones seemed way easier to play, but this is because the pickups compress more - and in doing that you lose something.

Just my opinion, I like a little clean boost pedal instead if you really need it.

That said - the Oil City Hardman is really good, but not quite the same for me

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Roland said:
    axisus said:
    .. What could I do to keep tele character but also add some gain/sustain loveliness, maybe at the flick of a switch?
    Oil City Wapping Wharf. It’s a tapped single coil, so literally flick the switch and it goes from thin to thick
    Or the Oil City Diesel Tap, which is the same thing but with a brighter 60’s voicing compared to the Wapping Wharf 50’s. 
  • rossirossi Frets: 1705
    Try the amp settings .Teles are very versatile .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • geordie01geordie01 Frets: 22
    An Iron Gear overwound Steel Twin tapped bridge pickup paired with an Alegree Stratocaster Toned neck pickup works very well on one of my partscasters. I switch the boost on the bridge pickup via a push- pull switched volume pot.
    Yep i have one of those in an esquire