Guitar YouTube channel?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    DLM said:
    prlgmnr said:
    I'd be inclined to look for someone who's gone from nothing to Youtube prominence in the last year or two years*[2], see what they offered that no one else offered or what they did that was already done but better (or just in a more noticeable way), and then try and work out what gap is there to be filled now or what content is currently out there that can be improved on. 

*as opposed to the Tom Quayles and Martin Millers of the world who've been on there for 10 years by now[1]

[1] Beast-mode-level playing technique

[2] kmac2021

My point about TQ and MM was just that they got their foot in the door so early that they don't represent a great model for what to do right now.

As for kmac2021 he certainly does something no one else does and I'm not sure I could say what it was.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    How about a feature:
    Guest of the month. this month Nobby Smiff from local pub rockers "the Artful dodgies" on why he only uses a Jr inro and AC30. Next month local Retired session player Richard Holder will explain why the industry has gone to sea in a hand cart. Stay tuned....
    Or invite Nobby and his minimalist approach at the same time as 'Kelvin' who has racks and two pedal boards to get his tone in his bedroom.

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850

Scott Devine (Scott's Bass Lessons) put this together for Basschat after a particular bit of nastiness lately. There's an interesting insight into the work that goes into his channel, and later on a bit about getting noticed. Might be useful! 
    Nice hat. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7148
    edited April 2019
    Currently, I'm 'very slowly' building up my Instagram and may one day do short videos for gear reviews/demos. We keep talking about doing a YouTube channel at Gearnews, but the amount of work it takes to edit etc has put me off. My co-worker Robin runs a successful channel called Molten Music Technology and he really puts the hours in to make his page work.

Off the back of his channel and writing for Gearnews he got invited out to Thomann and asked to participate in their Synth Reaktor event, so worth all the hard work.

I'd never have any time to actually play the guitar is my main concern with video editing!

Good luck with your venture and if you need any help, hit me up.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6710
    edited April 2019
    Nerine said:
    I want to cater for pretty much everybody really. 

This is the biggest worry for me. The internet is absolutely teaming with people who want to do everything and who are lost in a sea of other people doing the same.

Instead of trying to please people do the thing you are passionate about and be the master of one thing and have a core base of people watching because they enjoy the format and content. Once you've nailed that and found your voice then by all means branch out. 

Do you have something new to say about the Tubescreamer that isn't available in 10 other videos? If not then why make it? 

Source: As a DOP, Director and Editor this has been my day job for about 20+ years. More recently I have done a shedload of work with a lot of big youtube stars and online 'influencers' *spit spit*. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Hmm, content isn't necessarily king, i think delivery is quite important. For example, I watch a lot of Rob Chapman and Andertons videos on youtube even though the content rarely applies to me, but i can enjoy the good quality production, the banter and the funny editing that the guys put in.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7424
    imho what makes any channel work is personality and a sense of identity - to the point I’d be wary of paying too much attention to what other people want you to do.

good luck with it! 
    Red ones are better. 
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 832
    Nerine said:

I’m certainly not doing it for financial gain, it’s more that it’ll push me further as a player because it’ll force me to work on more advanced techniques more often.
    I think it is a great idea, doing regular programmes will definitely focus and push you. If this is the main goal it shouldn't matter if the topic/subject has been covered before.

Good luck in honing both your guitar and presenting skills.

Hopefully people will enjoy the ride and develop with you, looking forward to your first episode:-)
    Also forgot to say most importantly - over and above your content, your delivery or your style:

It seems whenever everyone went to youtube guitar vlog school the last lesson and the main take away was about having a 'practical' household lamp on in the background to add depth to your shot.

Once you look for it you will see it on like 80%+ of guitar channels.

If you do this as well, at least put the light on a dimmer so it's not blowing out.  Ok, potential nightmare averted :)

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12376
    edited April 2019
    Missus munckee must be a secret youtuber then because our house has 40 lamps for each person, we even have lamps in the kitchen (and candles) despite having more spotlights than B&Q....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm waiting for the first guitar youtuber to be endorsed by IKEA for pedalboards and lamps. 

• Good luck, sounds fun. I realise that I watch a fair amount of guitar videos on YT. For what its worth these are things that make me close the browser early:
    - Long intro/title sequences
    - Waffling aimlessly
    - Bad hats
    - Obvious lack of script
    - 25+ minutes to cover something very simple
    - Stupid clickbait titles - "10 riffs guitarists HAVE to know"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hydra19Hydra19 Frets: 329
    The talking! For god's sake, we want to hear the instrument, just play already!
    I always skip the talking, if I'm interested I can go back and find out but most of the time it's some guy slowly talking about himself, a bit about the gear. Some videos that are 16 minutes long, feature 14 minutes of talking and it's meant to be a gear review. It's unbelievable how some people can be full of themselves. and I'm sure not everyone has that patience.

I understand a little bit of talking is sometimes necessary, but when I do guitar videos, I say the name of the guitar and pickupsl and just point with my fingers when I change pickups, no need to go on about your gf in high school and what she thought of your sound back then, etc, etc. They always seem to go off on a tangent and just lose the whole poiint of the video.

1 - Keep the talking down to a minimum, and only about the gear,
    2 - Your gear is more interesting than you (no offense intended) 
    3 - Keep the videos short, and make more videos if need be, rather than a 29 minute video
    4 - People these days don't have a lot of time or attention spans 
    5 - Look like you enjoy it!
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Adam_MD said:
    2) how you make everything sound the same
    That's a talent I have. I could boast about it, but the wife would use it as an excuse to only have one guitar and amp.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Please avoid mindless bluesrock widdling on everything.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7290
    You need a USP..how about gear demo's only in 7/4?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Do a nigh-on-two-hour review video of a reverb pedal!

Bye!

• Keep your shoes on. No pedal sock shots please.