Help required with Shawbucker Strat Humbucker swap

kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1158
edited April 2019 in Making & Modding
Ive recently picked up a Shawbucker Strat but didn’t really care for the Shawbucker Humbucker.

Ive swapped the pickup out for a Suhr Thornbucker which is a big improvement for me. I used the wiring diagram below which is the Standard Shawbucker wiring.

My only issue is in the 4 position on the switch (Bridge & Middle) the Humbucker is in full mode, if I want this to split where do the green and red wires need to go?

Here is the diagram:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2huyv5tavn6rpr/Photo%2003-04-2019%2C%2012%2009%2048.jpg?dl=0
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14584
    edited April 2019
    Difficult to answer with no information about the conductor colour coding, coil wind direction and magnetic polarity of the Suhr humbucker.

I assume that the schematic diagram you are following is this.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Difficult to answer with no information about the conductor colour coding, coil wind direction and magnetic polarity of the Suhr humbucker.

I assume that the schematic diagram you are following is this.
    It’s this one:

http://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Original/10001/Fender%20Am%20Std%20Stratocaster%20HSS%20Shawbucker%20011311XXXX%20Service%20Manual.pdf
  • I’m now thinking it might not be worth the hassle. The Thornbucker is pretty low output (around 9k) So split its going to be very weak output wise. It’s probably a better match left as it is.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14584
    edited April 2019
    Sticking with the Fender diagram and colour codes, for coil splitting, the red/green series link needs to be shunted to ground. 

The least disruptive way to do this is to add either a DPDT switch or a push-pull pot instead of one of the Tone controls.

It is possible to automate the coil split for the bridge + middle selection via the five-way switch BUT this involves undoing rather a lot of the existing wiring on the twelve-contact half of the selector switch.

The reason for the Superswitch and dual ganged volume pot is to enable the different resistance values for the single coils and humbucker.

Adding a coil split via a new DPDT switch still presents the problem of the split humbucker now running via a 500k volume pot. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Sticking with the Fender diagram and colour codes, for coil splitting, the red/green series link needs to be shunted to ground. 

The least disruptive way to do this is to add either a DPDT switch or a push-pull pot instead of one of the Tone controls.

It is possible to automate the coil split for the bridge + middle selection via the five-way switch BUT this involves undoing rather a lot of the existing wiring on the twelve-contact half of the selector switch.

The reason for the Superswitch and dual ganged volume pot is to enable the different resistance values for the single coils and humbucker.

Adding a coil split via a new DPDT switch still presents the problem of the split humbucker now tuning via a 500k volume pot. 
    Thanks for the advice. I’ve decided to leave it as it is.
  • What was the difference in tone from Shaw to Thorn ?  Im looking at alternatives  

btw - sooner than split the HB - could you make move to parallel from series easier ? retain HB and use the split pot as intended but get a better balance with the middle single in P4 ?