What amp is this?

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
I'm sure somebody can tell me what amp Kristian Mattson is using here - starts at 5.10 secs of this video. Fantastic version of Robert Palmer's 'Johnny and Mary' incidentally.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72565
    Looks like an Ampeg Super Rocket or Reverb Rocket.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    ICBM said:
    Looks like an Ampeg Super Rocket or Reverb Rocket.
    Suitably obscure! Is it based on a Fender amp or something I can try somewhere? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72565
    Fuengi said:

Suitably obscure! Is it based on a Fender amp or something I can try somewhere? 
    Not at all based on a Fender - they're totally their own thing, or at least the originals were. They were recently reissued and are fairly easily available, although I'm not sure if they're still in production.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6097
    Think there was one in the classifieds a while back.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    edited April 2019
    The one in the classifieds was a Jet 1x12 from about '63. Nice amp. The one in the video above looks like a 2x12 Reverberocket, as ICBM said. From what I can recall they were about 50 watts? They certainly had a good bit of clean headroom. BTW the 2x12 Super Rocket was even more powerful and a really HEAVY beast.

One of the nicest sounding amps I've owned was an Ampeg GU12. Playing rhythm on a Tele through it with both pickups selected was sublime. Clean, with a touch of edge and rich. One of the nicest reverbs I've encountered too. At the time I owned it (1980s) it wasn't easy to source the valves it used - 6U10, 12DW7, 7591A. It had also been converted badly from US voltage and needed sorting to avoid frizzy hair
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Interesting. I think you're right about it being a 2x12.

I had a bit of a play around with my amp (Yerasov GTA15) this afternoon and got a really nice approximation of that sound.

The Yerasov doesn't have Bass / Treble controls, just a Tone control so the tone shaping is limited. However, using the Thorpy Peacekeeper on low gain and boosting the treble and bass gave the impression of a mid scoop, which is what I was hearing.