One for the offset fans - mods, tone tip, must hear players, reviews etc etc

Might be worth a read for many
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chris78chris78 Frets: 9347
    Dreadful for GAS. I know I don't like offsets, but they are sooooo pretty
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14535
    I dislike the ergonomics of my AVRI ‘62 Jaguar but I always forgive it because nothing else exactly gets its sounds. 

One for the offset fans - mods, tone tip, must hear players, reviews etc
    Set up tips might be handy for perplexed  owners of Squier VM Jags, JMs and Mustangs.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14535
    edited April 2019
    I agree with your general complaint. The hardware on the Squier VM offset guitars is horrendously cheap ‘n’ nasty. 

The reasoning behind the use of Mustang saddles is that, lacking height adjustment grub screws, they cannot wriggle out position over time.

NOTE: On the Squier, check that the radii of the fingerboard and the Mustang saddles match.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Dammit! This would be super handy for me as I'm considering a Jag. Am inconveniently on the wrong continent.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14321
    tFB Trader
    I found a tip the other day on a vintage style Jag/Jazzmaster arm - Wrap Gaffa tape round it once only - squeeze it - now put it back in the trem arm slot - Nice 'n' tight - Might not last forever but can re-do as required - cheap 'n' easy option
  • rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    I found a tip the other day on a vintage style Jag/Jazzmaster arm - Wrap Gaffa tape round it once only - squeeze it - now put it back in the trem arm slot - Nice 'n' tight - Might not last forever but can re-do as required - cheap 'n' easy option
    @guitars4you another trem arm hack is to get a small cable tie and tighten it around the bottom of the collet which holds the arm in - tighten it with pliers. This works pretty well TBH - only just swapped to a staytrem on my main JM after 9 years!
    Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    DeeTee said:
    Dammit! This would be super handy for me as I'm considering a Jag. Am inconveniently on the wrong continent.
    Pm me your address and I’m sure I can bag a copy and post to you.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    edited April 2019
    JerkMoans said:
    DeeTee said:
    That's really kind! In fact, I'm visiting in a couple of months. If someone could just take a picture of it for me, I can get a family member to pick it up and hang on to it for me. The pic would help me show it to them and say "get this one" so they don't grab something with a similar name.

(Postage to Canada can be steep)
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3325
    DeeTee said:
    JerkMoans said:
    DeeTee said:
    That's really kind! In fact, I'm visiting in a couple of months. If someone could just take a picture of it for me, I can get a family member to pick it up and hang on to it for me. The pic would help me show it to them and say "get this one" so they don't grab something with a similar name.

(Postage to Canada can be steep)
    Get the electronic copy
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14321
    tFB Trader
    rexter said:
    @guitars4you another trem arm hack is to get a small cable tie and tighten it around the bottom of the collet which holds the arm in - tighten it with pliers. This works pretty well TBH - only just swapped to a staytrem on my main JM after 9 years!
    ta - will look at that
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    rexter said:
    The guys on osg put a slight bend in the arm where it enters the collet. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.