NGD - and it only took about 40 ****ing years to finally get there.

What's Hot
camfcamf Frets: 1191
edited April 2019 in Guitar
Thanks to the very excellent @paulads I'm now the very happy owner of this beautiful ruby red Rickenbacker 330. And now I'm wondering why it took me so ****ing long to get one. I mean, back in the late 70s I was mainly a Clash and Ramones fan but I loved the early Jam singles and when I saw them live around 1980 I remember being blown away by the sound of Weller's guitar that night. Then through the 80s, lots of the music I really loved, from Tom Petty, R.E.M., The Smiths, Radiohead, Teenage Fanclub and even Fugazi, all seemed to feature Rickenbackers. I guess initially I was put off by the scarcity and the cost, I just couldn't find one at a price I could afford back then. Then there was the narrow neck thing... would my fat little fingers even fit?

Anyway, I'm here now and I took it to band rehearsal last night. Klone, TS and a delay into PRRI with a 12" speaker. Bliss. The band were all agreed it sounded just right. It's light, it jangles, but it also does that controlled, edge of feedback thing brilliantly. It looks the biz too. 

@paulads went out of his way to make this a great purchase and I'm a happy camper, so thanks again Paul.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p4iwylyrcfm8o5h/Rick&PRRI.jpg?raw=1

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• camfcamf Frets: 1191
    edited April 2019
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4674
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Phew... thanks @mikeyrob73 ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4674
    not a problem :-) 
  • pauladspaulads Frets: 495
    Cheers @camf

It was great to meet you and pleasure to help get the deal done...I'm really pleased you're happy with the Ricky...it's a lovely example...and I'm extra pleased that it's gone to someone with such impeccable taste  :)

BTW... I think the colour was simply referred to as "red" rather than ruby red... which is little darker and slightly metallic...anyway...she's a beauty...enjoy yourself with her...they're a lot more versatile than some people think. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2019
    Is it this colour?

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12414
    That is beautiful.  Rickenbacker is pretty high on my list and I have been put off for the same reasons as you.
  • camf said:
    Thanks to the very excellent @paulads I'm now the very happy owner of this beautiful ruby red Rickenbacker 330. And now I'm wondering why it took me so ****ing long to get one. I mean, back in the late 70s I was mainly a Clash and Ramones fan but I loved the early Jam singles and when I saw them live around 1980 I remember being blown away by the sound of Weller's guitar that night. Then through the 80s, lots of the music I really loved, from Tom Petty, R.E.M., The Smiths, Radiohead, Teenage Fanclub and even Fugazi, all seemed to feature Rickenbackers. I guess initially I was put off by the scarcity and the cost, I just couldn't find one at a price I could afford back then. Then there was the narrow neck thing... would my fat little fingers even fit?

Anyway, I'm here now and I took it to band rehearsal last night. Klone, TS and a delay into PRRI with a 12" speaker. Bliss. The band were all agreed it sounded just right. It's light, it jangles, but it also does that controlled, edge of feedback thing brilliantly. It looks the biz too. 

@paulads went out of his way to make this a great purchase and I'm a happy camper, so thanks again Paul.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p4iwylyrcfm8o5h/Rick&PRRI.jpg?raw=1

That Rickenbacker looks stunning btw I've always had a soft spot for one because of Guy P. from Fugazi, you mentioned 12" speaker in your Princeton, if you don't mind me asking which speaker do you have in there as I'm tempted to change my Jensen? And how easy was it to change? 
  • pauladspaulads Frets: 495
    I think Weller often played a burgundy 330 in the earlier jam days...our bass player has a '74 4001 in burgundy and it seems more red than the modern ones...someone on here will know much better than me, though! 
    @paulads My one is prettier anyway. 
    builttospill said:
    That Rickenbacker looks stunning btw I've always had a soft spot for one because of Guy P. from Fugazi, you mentioned 12" speaker in your Princeton, if you don't mind me asking which speaker do you have in there as I'm tempted to change my Jensen? And how easy was it to change? 
    Mine is a FSR that came stock with a Celestion Blue 12” that I changed to a neo Jensen Tornado. It’s lighter and sounds even better to me. An excellent speaker choice, IMHO. I think because the cab is quite tight, it’s a fiddly job more than a complicated one. But worth doing, at least from my experience. 
  • pmgpmg Frets: 299
    Nice score!  My ric 330 has been my main guitar since 2008  but I haven’t played it in a long time.  My band mates keep asking when it’s going to return and the answer is soon.
    munckee said:
    That is beautiful.  Rickenbacker is pretty high on my list and I have been put off for the same reasons as you.
    @munckee As other guitar prices rocket, Rickenbackers seem not to be going do crazy, so worth looking. It really took seconds to adjust to the neck and within a day or two I’m not even aware of it. Pity I hadn’t tried it a good while back.
    @pmg How soon is now? ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12930
    Excellent choice, Cam! 

Would love to hear it in person at some point :-D
    I think we can arrange that.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    camf said:
    munckee said:
    @munckee As other guitar prices rocket, Rickenbackers seem not to be going do crazy, so worth looking. It really took seconds to adjust to the neck and within a day or two I’m not even aware of it. Pity I hadn’t tried it a good while back.
    Congrats I’ve just got one myself. I’d say Rics are very expensive though. New and used.

I was looking at an old mag from 2004ish and they were blowing 330s at £799!

Now they are two grand new and £900-1500 used!
    Previously known as stevebrum
    I agree they're not cheap, but looking at the cost of used Gibsons and CS Fenders, I was thinking that they don't seem so bad these days.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    Very nice. You know how much I approve of this :).

'Ruby' is definitely a metallic red, although it's not much darker than this - sorry if I confused you ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Very nice. You know how much I approve of this :).

'Ruby' is definitely a metallic red, although it's not much darker than this - sorry if I confused you ;).
    I wouldn't say this to 'normal' people, but you know how sometimes you plug in a guitar and start playing, and it just leaves you with a big, stupid grin...