Orange Pedal Baby 100

What's Hot
FaffFaff Frets: 29
Trying to get a lighter rig so have got a Boss Gt1000.  Looking at a power amp to go with it.

I like the idea for this amp - compact and light. The premise is that you can turn up and plug into any backline. However sometimes the venue cab doesn't have any markings on it or may only be 4 ohms. Whereas my Mesa Boogie 8 ohm tube head can safely handle 4 or 16 ohms (according to the manual), this pedal baby says 8 or 16 ohms only. 
How strict is it? What if it does get plugged into a 4 ohm cab? is that a complete no no?
I could spend more and get a matrix gt1000fx which does it all but I want something smaller and lighter. 
Guitarist for...  HEY PIXIES - The UK's most gigantic PIXIES tribute band
http://www.facebook.com/heypixies
"We don't actually own any of this gear - we're just looking after it for the next Fretboarder."

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dudududu Frets: 105
    It works plug & play with 4, 8 and 16 ohm loads. The lower the load, the louder it will be.
  • FaffFaff Frets: 29
    dudu said:
    It works plug & play with 4, 8 and 16 ohm loads. The lower the load, the louder it will be.
    So you have tried it?
    "We don't actually own any of this gear - we're just looking after it for the next Fretboarder."

• ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    I honestly can’t see what this offers that isn’t comprehensively beasted by the Katana head. The class AB power section is likely the same £4 IC in both. With the Orange you get a handful of pots and a chassis and that’s it. With the Katana you get five channels, midi control, cab sim line out, stereo USB, and every Boss effect ever created. For £15 more.  
  • dudududu Frets: 105
    edited April 2019
    Faff said:
    dudu said:
    So you have tried it?
    Actually no, but I have been reading up on this power amp and a few others. I stand corrected on one aspect, though, it does not support 4 ohm, sorry about that. I got the specs mixed up with the Seymour Duncan Power Stage.
    dudu said:
    Faff said:
    dudu said:
    So you have tried it?
    Actually no, but I have been reading up on this power amp and a few others. I stand corrected on one aspect, though, it does not support 4 ohm, sorry about that. I got the specs mixed up with the Seymour Duncan Power Stage.
    That's ok.  I know about class D amps can be plugged into any of them with corresponding losses in levels. I'd like the SD PS170 but if I turn up at a venue with 16 ohm speakers I'm not sure the 454W will be enough.

edited April 2019
    I honestly can’t see what this offers that isn’t comprehensively beasted by the Katana head. The class AB power section is likely the same £4 IC in both. With the Orange you get a handful of pots and a chassis and that’s it. With the Katana you get five channels, midi control, cab sim line out, stereo USB, and every Boss effect ever created. For £15 more.  
    I have all the Boss effects in the GT1000. I'm looking for a single journey from car through muddy field to stage carrying everything I need.
    I have sold my big pedal board and big mesa boogie amp - it's about convenience as long as the sound is still right.
    You are right though - price seems very steep compared to something like Katana.  Maybe Boss should make a power amp for modelers.

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    the gt100fx is surprisingly light,
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @Faff , how are you getting on with the GT-1000/?

@sgosden is not wrong when he says that the GT-1000FX is light.  I'm running my Boss GT-1K in to a Matrix GT-1500 FX BD.  It sounds great, and I don't break in to a sweat carrying it about .
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17663
    tFB Trader
    @Faff , how are you getting on with the GT-1000/?

@sgosden is not wrong when he says that the GT-1000FX is light.  I'm running my Boss GT-1K in to a Matrix GT-1500 FX BD.  It sounds great, and I don't break in to a sweat carrying it about .
    @Handsome_Chris how come you've switched away from your AxeFX?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Faff , how are you getting on with the GT-1000/?

TBH - I have found it a struggle. I had a GT100 before so am OK with actually operating it but have spend absolutely f*** ages tweaking it. Then next rehearsal unhappy again. It was far easier with real amp and real pedals. I'm almost there now - first gig tomorrow so I'll see. What about you?

sgosden said:
    the gt1000fx is surprisingly light,
    looks like I'm heading that way - no cab ohmage anxiety with that, 

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Faff said:
    sgosden said:
    the gt1000fx is surprisingly light,
    looks like I'm heading that way - no cab ohmage anxiety with that, 

I've got it mounted in rack with helix.
    If we've got the space and transport abilities, I like to run direct to FOH, and have some stage volume from  a mono feed going to a 2x12 V30 cab, and 2x12 greenback cab either side of drums.

Majority of gigs with backline I'll just plug into whatever 2x12 of 4x12 is there, and not have to worry about ohms.

At home a stereo poweramp is fun for when you're self indulging in stereo or wet/dry set ups :)

or ultimate nerd... one dry cab, one cab with modulation, stereo delay/verb through studio monitors.

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4044
    Have you thought about Quilter?
    I got one as a spare amp -- it's so small and light it fits in my box of leads -- but it's good enough to use as main amp if only it didn't seem so odd using something diddy.
    Grunfeld said:
    Which one have you got?

• @Faff , how are you getting on with the GT-1000/?

@Handsome_Chris how come you've switched away from your AxeFX?
    I haven't, as such, it's just that I've got a pedal board rig for if I need to use someone else's backline.

The Boss GT-1000 is remarkably configurable compared to using the AF2 and associated MFC .  It's also all contained in one box . 
  • TateFXTateFX Frets: 114
    tFB Trader

I'm really enjoying mine, however 8ohm or 16ohm no 4 ohm option.

Into an 8 ohm 2X12 cab it's pushing 105bd at just over 1/4 volume.
    Formerly Stu_Tate
    Tate FX
    www.TateFX.co.uk
    Instagram 
  • @Faff , I'm getting on famously with the Boss GT-1000.  I was using it tonight at an audition and I found it fkn fantastic to use , the sound is good too.  Boss should not have named it a GT-whatever and given it a new prefix.  
    Thanks all - SD170 is out for me as it's low output on 16 ohm. So it's either Orange baby or a 19" rack type like the Matrix GT100FX or other. So although Orange seems to be a bit overpriced for what it is, the form factor and decent power may win it... but then again?

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4044
    Faff said:
    Grunfeld said:
    Which one have you got?
    Microblock.  So small!
    My main amp is solid state now:  Orange CR 120 head.  I actually use it on clean as a pedal platform and compared to my old JVM it feels so light.
    But the Quilter is like a glorified matchbox in terms of size.  And, with exactly the same pedals* it sounds pretty much the same.

* Base sound is coming from a Catalinbread Formula 55
  • DaveMonDaveMon Frets: 26
    Henning has just compared the SD and the orange.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=CXLOww1oV2s