Tweed Princeton Home Build

What's Hot
GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
edited May 2014 in Amps
I want to build an amp! Initially I was thinking of a simple 5f1 Champ-a-like kit like the Ampmaker one, but what I really want is something as close to the original circuit, and original looks, as possible - that kit is diode rectified and the chassis is designed to be suspended horizontally instead of vertically like the tweed champs. 

I know the 5f2a Princeton circuit is almost the same as the 5f1 Champ, but adds a simple tone control and I reckon that is exactly what I want. So what I am looking for is a kit that comes with decent instructions, a good chromed and screen printed chassis and maybe a cabinet. The cab is easier to source though - maybe AF Custom Cabs?

I can see kits from Mojotone and Weber in the States, but although I know building a kit isn't particularly cost effective way of getting a new amp, paying a few hundred on shipping and duty is just daft - if it can be avoided.

I've been reading up on valve amps and my understanding is improving, and I'm sure hands on experience will help this. I'm pretty practical and have built a couple of pedals on vero so soldering skills are okay, and can follow a schematic but would prefer decent instructions with pictures as well to help keep me safe!

I'm aware of the dangers that lurk in amps, even when unplugged so will take the utmost care - I hate being electrocuted! 

So anyone suggest where to source something like this in the UK?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    I'm building a 5C5 wide panel tweed pro at the moment. I could source everything in the uk with the exception of the chassis. Tube amp doctor in Germany do the weber kits. In the end it was cheaper to buy the chassis direct from Weber in the USA than TAD who's markup is quite sensational! Not a lot of help I know. The weber chassis is well made though.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Cheers Gordon, TAD have a Champ kit but can't see a Princeton kit. I see what you mean about their prices too! That tweed pro will be pretty cool I bet!
  • You will learn more if you build from scratch. You could always start a Princeton build thread and everyone here will help you with where to source stuff and how to build it. But then again you could always build the ampmaker champ as a practice run as they are so cheap. (And SS rectification is the only sensible thing to do with a single ended amp).
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    edited May 2014
    Vyse Amps do the Torres kits, and they seem a good bet if you want something slightly more flexible than a standard kit.
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

Mojo Tone have one, but the States again. I'm sure you'd be able to get just the chassis.  though be careful with transformers.  The chassis are usually drilled for specific transformer(s) they supply with the kit.  Im having to mod the Weber chassis a bit for my build.

http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/amp-kits-tweed-style/Mojotone-Tweed-Princeton-Style-Amplifier-Kit#.U2LG3_5OW9I

I did consider a scratch build, but was put off a bit by the amount of time it would take to source all the parts and it would probably cost more. Plus I'd have a lot of questions!! 

I considered the ampmaker kit as a practice like you suggested, and appreciate the rectification argument. Would it be easy enough to fit that kit into a 5f2a chassis? 

I had heard that Vyse did Torres kits but couldn't find them on the website?
    edited May 2014
    ESchap said:

Mojo Tone have one, but the States again. I'm sure you'd be able to get just the chassis.  though be careful with transformers.  The chassis are usually drilled for specific transformer(s) they supply with the kit.  Im having to mod the Weber chassis a bit for my build.

http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/amp-kits-tweed-style/Mojotone-Tweed-Princeton-Style-Amplifier-Kit#.U2LG3_5OW9I

I saw that one. If I was to order that as a kit without valves, speaker or cab it would be about £200 shipped, plus duty. That could be an answer if I don't find a better option.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    Gagaryn said:
    Most of the kit amp photos have a Torres badge on them. I think they started off selling Torres kits, it looks like maybe their own kits have their roots in the Torres designs and they diverged at some point?

Gagaryn said:
    Most of the kit amp photos have a Torres badge on them. I think they started off selling Torres kits, it looks like maybe their own kits have their roots in the Torres designs and they diverged at some point?
    Think that's right - http://vyseamps.com/about-us.htm

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6161
    You will learn more if you build from scratch. You could always start a Princeton build thread and everyone here will help you with where to source stuff and how to build it. But then again you could always build the ampmaker champ as a practice run as they are so cheap. (And SS rectification is the only sensible thing to do with a single ended amp).

This is the route I took last year when I built my 5E7. I spent a lot of time researching the build and sourced my components from a fair few sources. I got some good advice off the 'elders' of this forum too.

Using this approach makes you really think about what you are building and helps you learn much more about the subject, as opposed to a building by numbers approach. 

Plus it's a lot more fun and you can build it over time as funds allow.

It cost me about £800 all in for my build... as opposed to having to pay over £2K to fender for their reissue.
    If you decide to go this route, PM me and I can send you details of all the suppliers I used and some tips for the build. 

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    I'm becoming swayed towards the scratch build idea. I'd like the majority of my spend to be on quality components, not shipping and marketing. So advice gratefully received.
  • thermionic;227808" said:
    Vyse Amps do the Torres kits, and they seem a good bet if you want something slightly more flexible than a standard kit.
    I've been tempted by that site waaaay more than is healthy.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    Gagaryn said:

Gagaryn said:
    Think that's right - http://vyseamps.com/about-us.htm

never built an amp but can heartily recommend ringing Barry Vyse. Extremely friendly and tremendously knowledgeable bloke who worked on my old Fenders

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    You can easily convert a 5F1 chassis into a 5F2 by using a dual-gang pot for the combined volume/tone control and putting the power switch somewhere else, like where the fuseholder is and using an internal fuse.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Ideally what, I'd like to do is make a replica I suppose. I'd really like to buy an original but they are too pricey.

Well, I have had plenty advice, thanks guys, particularly Patrick for all the helpful links, and I've done plenty of thinking and have concluded that my best option may be a compromise - as it usually is. 

I'm just waiting on a shipping quote but am thinking that I will get this 5f2a kit... 

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits_50a.htm#5F2A
    ...and use that as the basis for my build. 

The kit includes everything, including a chassis and speaker, and I've upgraded to an aged tweed TV Front cab. Cost before shipping is about £300 as they have 10% off just now. If shipping is reasonable, even allowing for import costs that seems quite a good deal. I fully expect some of the components won't be best quality but I'll take your advice on what I'd be wise to upgrade. Although the parts are supplied as a kit, there are no instructions - just a schematic and layout, so you will be getting a lot of questions.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    Have a look at the Ceriatone website,sure they`ll do something to suit.Very good
    to deal with.
    Have looked! Have looked everywhere!! I've barely been to bed I've done so much looking. Champ Ultra is closest from Ceriatone and it's not really what I'm after.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    The Weber kit doesn't sound like a compromise, isn't that exactly what you're looking for? 5F2A circuit, tweed cabinet, valve rectified...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited May 2014
    I meant a compromise between;

Option 1 - buying a kit that includes illustrated diagrams of how to complete every stage of the build (building by numbers) which seemed kind of pointless as I wouldn't learn much, and 

Option2 - sourcing everything independently and building from scratch, which was starting to get quite daunting. 

So I've basically bought a big box of bits which I have no idea how to put together, but at least everything is there - it's SS rectified BTW. I read plenty of reviews and some stuff is meant to be fine, particularly the cab, chassis and speaker - the most expensive bits. Some folk say the switches and pots are pretty poor but they are easy and cheap to upgrade. There is mixed opinion on the other components, suspect different stuff is supplied dependent on what is most cost effective to the supplier. Transformers are both Chinese and get mixed reviews, some say they are perfectly good but others recommend upgrading.