Worked out the problem I had with the Fender Champion 40.

What's Hot
Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 609
Turned it up.

That was it. On clean and really quite surprisingly decent............

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31650
    Placement is critical too. I tried one in my local shop, the amp was on a shelf at ear level and sounded vicious on the clean channel. 

Chuck it on the floor near a corner though and it's very very good. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72572
    I have a strong suspicion that the speaker in these isn't great, and will be the cause of both characteristics.

Amp manufacturers always cheap out on the speaker when they need to save money, since it's the most expensive single component in the amp. Unfortunately it's also the most important single component...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 609
    It is on the floor and because of space being a premium it has another amp on top of it. I have no idea what speakers Fender put in as standard? On a £150 amp probably not worth spending money on a new speaker?

Thinking about selling on the Super Champ X2 and looking for something more interesting used............. Maybe Peavey....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72572
    Jetsam1 said:
    It is on the floor and because of space being a premium it has another amp on top of it. I have no idea what speakers Fender put in as standard? On a £150 amp probably not worth spending money on a new speaker?
    I would say it is. A better speaker is still cheaper than a new amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12415
    Not a cheap amp by any stretch but I spent £35 on an alnico jensen for my 68 Princeton and the difference is really noticeable in a good way. My first thought with amps now will be speakerchoices. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom