Nut issues

longshinslongshins Frets: 246
So my high E sounds a little dead when played open, I can make it ring true by applying a fair bit of pressure right on the edge of the nut and presumably seating it right down in the slot. Any way to fix this without removing the nut altogether?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3493
    You could try cleaning the slot, what gauge strings are on there?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • longshinslongshins Frets: 246
    I was brave, knocked the nut out... put it back in after messing about. I think I need a string tree... I bought staggered tuners hoping they would generate enough angle but not the case.
  • What guitar is this ls?
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    It could also be an issue with the nut slot being parallel to the string and not canted backwards
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    longshins said:
    I was brave, knocked the nut out... put it back in after messing about. I think I need a string tree... I bought staggered tuners hoping they would generate enough angle but not the case.
    In my experience staggered tuners do not remove the need for a string tree on the E and B strings with a normal Fender headstock.

The best thing to do is fit a string tree for those and use the two lowest tuners for the G and D strings - the G is where the biggest problem is with a normal Fender.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• longshinslongshins Frets: 246
    What guitar is this ls?
    Guitarbuild strat neck and body, tusq nut, hipshot staggered tuners.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3576
    Try Reverend Triple String tree. One hole used, covers E,B and G strings.