Mesa Stiletto Ace Combo?

What's Hot
theflyisbacktheflyisback Frets: 71
edited April 2019 in Amps
Anyone own / used one of these? What is ownership like?

Always been a bit scared of them as I’ve always thought of Mesa’s as the ultimate high gain machine but I’ve been reading/hearing about them commending their great clean capabilities. I’ve never considered one until now and apart from the reputation of the lone star I know zero about the brand to be honest.

ive seen a used on in a shop today and noticed one on eBay for a nice price just a smidgeon above the budget I have for a new amp and I’m having major thoughts about taking the plunge.  It just looks like a desirable premier bit of kit, especially when it’s sat next to a fender 68 DRRI in the shop. 

i ultimately want a clean amp. Always had a soft spot for fenders, not so much vox’s though (although the 1x12 AC30 is looking like a good sensible option for what I’m seeking) 

Apart from me probably needing a new spine lugging this about is there any reason to stay away from these. They seem, in terms of values against other MB’s, a bit cheaper. Are they entry level in Mesa Boogie terms or a bloody good amp of its own merit? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1156
    edited April 2019
    They are far from entry level amps in Mesa terms, they were part of Mesas core line for a long while. Retailed for 2k+.

They are basically Mesas attempt at a more Marshally flavour of amp. Out of all the Mesa amps I think they divide opinion the most. Some people complain they are too bright. A lot of people love them and hail them as Mesas best ever amp. Just do a google search and you will see what I mean.

There is a guy local to me who has gigged one for years and he sounds great through his. I have heard it live on many occasions and it sounds great across the board, both clean and dirty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just seen an Andy Timmons video where he mentions the British/Marshally influence too

Too bright is fine for me! I can work with that. I assume these have absolutely massive headroom for pedals just by looking at the build quality. 

• DominicDominic Frets: 16146
    great VFM .......punchy Marshall sound / decent headroom too.
    If you play a Strat you will find it far too bright but works perfect with a Les Paul ;anyway that's what the Tone knob is for.
  • frownfrown Frets: 32
    At lower volumes they can be on the thin and bright side tonally. Upping the level helps bring in the mids and bass for me when using single coils. However, use P90’s and the balls appear - even when quieter. As others have mentioned, use of the tone knob helps - if you have one... [I don’t on all my guitars and manage fine]. 

Stilettos are noticeably brighter than either a Lone Star or an Electadyne, but still tameable. Cleans are very good and work nicely when adding in some reverb, delay or just left dry. I love the gain channel on the Fluid mode - and pushed with a fuzz and afore mentioned P90s, sound brill. Like any amp new to a user, bit of fiddling to dial it in, but when it is... mmmmm.