Strandberg tele (Sälen)

What's Hot
melodmelod Frets: 136
so I was trying out all sorts of jazzy guitars the other day .. big bodies etc. Then as I was ready to leave I noticed a guy playing this “thing” .. and it sounded pretty good. Then again he looked like a good guitarist so I thought it will sound crap when I get to play it.

It really did sound like a nice tele (suhr pickups) and the whole shape/neck shape was so surprisingly satisfying! I almost can’t believe I liked it that much. 

Is is it worth 1700..? Probably not but I can say that for many Fenders at that price point too. 

I really didnt need need more GAS in my life. The one thing that really worries me is serviceability. I noticed that a strandberg single tuner is priced at 45 pounds!! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richhrichh Frets: 453
    Yes, but you'll probably never need to replace any tuners, realistically.  Running costs I'd have thought would be replacing strings, and possibly eventually frets in the very long term.  Other than that, you are looking at depreciation if you buy new.

So I personally wouldn't worry about the cost of replacement tuners.
  • melodmelod Frets: 136
    richh said:
    Yes, but you'll probably never need to replace any tuners, realistically.  Running costs I'd have thought would be replacing strings, and possibly eventually frets in the very long term.  Other than that, you are looking at depreciation if you buy new.

Yeah most likely ... probably try to find some reason to stop liking it. As for depreciation, ok it’s not exactly life changing sums. I do understand the idea though of “recycling” a few grand to try and sell/buy as a hobby...especially being part of this forum.

Do you own one of those?
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    melod said:
    richh said:

Yeah most likely ... probably try to find some reason to stop liking it. As for depreciation, ok it’s not exactly life changing sums. I do understand the idea though of “recycling” a few grand to try and sell/buy as a hobby...especially being part of this forum.

Do you own one of those?
    I've got a Strandberg; it's not one of the Salen models, but the general guitar is pretty much the same. I love it - really light & comfy to play and the neck design is awesome. It also sounds absolutely massive. The only thing I don't like is changing the strings - it is a pain in the arse. You have to take the tuners off, get the string out etc, and sometimes I can't get the washer that goes on before the tuner as there isn't enough thread to grip the tuner with the washer in place...but I can't see that it's going to contribute greatly to wear (and the thread on the tuner is metal inside anyway despite the exterior being plastic). Also with the locking nuts at the top, you have to be careful to get the thinner strings dead centre so the round, flat end of the nut catches the string properly or it can slip. And not tighten too much or you'll damage where the thing attaches to the end of the neck. Seem to have got the hang of it now and it's really a minor gripe :) 
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    oh yeah - they don't fit on normal stands either, you have to buy a Strandberg one to get it to sit properly. I refused on principle having already forked out £2k+ on the guitar though!! 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8731
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8731
    I like the way the Strandberg outline is reduced to the essentials. Rather like the Telecaster it’s designed to be a working machine. The headless tuners are another part of that modern take on a practical design. I’m pleased to see Strandberg pursuing a fresh design. Rather like Ken Parker did with the Fly, but with a larger customer base.
    melod said:
    Is is it worth 1700..? Probably not but I can say that for many Fenders at that price point too. 

I really didnt need need more GAS in my life. The one thing that really worries me is serviceability. I noticed that a strandberg single tuner is priced at 45 pounds!! 
    If it’s what you want then yes. I wouldn’t worry about about the cost of replacement tuners. A bigger concern would be whether Strandberg is still around and making them in 10 to 20 years. Even that shouldn’t worry you. Where will any of us be, and what will we be doing, in 10 or 20 years?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:
    I like the way the Strandberg outline is reduced to the essentials. Rather like the Telecaster it’s designed to be a working machine. The headless tuners are another part of that modern take on a practical design. I’m pleased to see Strandberg pursuing a fresh design. Rather like Ken Parker did with the Fly, but with a larger customer base.
    melod said:

If it’s what you want then yes. I wouldn’t worry about about the cost of replacement tuners. A bigger concern would be whether Strandberg is still around and making them in 10 to 20 years. Even that shouldn’t worry you. Where will any of us be, and what will we be doing, in 10 or 20 years?
    I agree.

I think the plain looks work in its favour. Some of the more flamboyant tops etc I think fall short of similar reference points (say prs or whatever they are going for).
  • They look awesome. I’d love to try one as they tick all my boxes. 20” radius, stainless steel jumbo frets, carbon graphite in the neck ,headless, light , and looks super cool. Fortunately for my credit card , they are located at GuitarGuitar which is mileage away from me.
    They look awesome. I’d love to try one as they tick all my boxes. 20” radius, stainless steel jumbo frets, carbon graphite in the neck ,headless, light , and looks super cool. Fortunately for my credit card , they are located at GuitarGuitar which is mileage away from me.
    I mag one I was prepared to buy a jazz box with skinny frets ... so I was not at all positively predisposed but whether the enthusiasm wears out ..who knows.