SG Standard machine heads

VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
edited April 2019 in Guitar
Apologies - I know there's been threads on this before but I can't  seem to find what I'm after from a search.

Love my 2006 SG Standard, but the machine heads aren't very good and don't hold anything like the Grovers on my LP Custom.  So I'm looking for a replacement good quality set that I can drop in with no drilling or new screw holes ie a set that matches the look and fitting of the originals but that are way better with higher gearing to enable finer, smoother adjustment.  

Recommendations guys?

https://oi24.photobucket.com/albums/c33/voxman5/ADVENT-PC/Pictures/Gear/Gibson SG 2006/2012-12-17075252_zps18915198.jpg
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    Grovers should just drop in with no mods needed. I’ve got a set on my SG and they’re excellent. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited April 2019
    boogieman said:
    Grovers should just drop in with no mods needed. I’ve got a set on my SG and they’re excellent. 
    Thanks for that. Could you point me to the set you mean? 

Ah, think I found them...the Grover Vintage Deluxe tuners 135n? 10mm 13/32 post hole, 14:1 ratio. How do these perform compared to the originals? Smooth, accurate, allow fine tuning?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    There's an identical looking locking set that I put in my SG and they are a vast improvement 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27080
    edited April 2019
    I’m a fan of Faber for Kluson-types.

They seem to have the nicest (ie least snotty-looking) buttons, as well as being mechanically good.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    Voxman said:
    boogieman said:

Ah, think I found them...the Grover Vintage Deluxe tuners 135n? 10mm 13/32 post hole, 14:1 ratio. How do these perform compared to the originals? Smooth, accurate, allow fine tuning?
    Sorry I just saw your reply. They’re the ones with kidney bean tips, I think they’re just standard Rotomatics. Nice and smooth and hold tuning really well. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited April 2019
    boogieman said:
    Voxman said:
    boogieman said:

Sorry I just saw your reply. They’re the ones with kidney bean tips, I think they’re just standard Rotomatics. Nice and smooth and hold tuning really well. 
    None of the Rotomatics I've seen are straight drop ins as the screw fittings are different? And aren't they heavier and could cause neck dip? Maybe I'm looking at the wrong ones...Could you post a link?  Thanks
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14447
    Gotoh should have something that fits the existing holes, looks right and does the job well. 

To some extent, tuning stability will always be at the mercy of the splayed nut slots.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27080
    Voxman said:
    boogieman said:
    Voxman said:
    boogieman said:

None of the Rotomatics I've seen are straight drop ins as the screw fittings are different? And aren't they heavier and could cause neck dip? Maybe I'm looking at the wrong ones...Could you post a link?  Thanks
    Regular rotomatics (where the screw is directly below the main housing) should fit using the existing lower screw holes but they will weigh double what the current ones do. I tried a set on my SG when I got it and had instant neck dive. They got replaced by Tonepros within a week.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires