Marshall DLS (v1) - build from scratch

What's Hot
darcymdarcym Frets: 1297

I've seen many threads on the older model DSL (UK made) amps being just a terrible design.

I've got a good few of them (I bought some for spares due to the fear of the problems I see people have) thankfully I've never had a problem with any of them in the past so to date they have been solid for me.

For the amp guys here, in theory could you build the Marshall DSL circuit "properly" ? eg: the layout is poor, the PCB positioning is bad, some bad parts used etc etc, could you actually rebuild that circuit properly ? so the sound is the same and in theory the circuit is the same, but without the design flaws that are referenced over and over.

The new ones (I don't know how the circuit differs if at all) just don't sound the same (the 100w old version is a good amp).

I appreciate cost would potentially be insane, but just from an interest point of view, could you build say a hand wired version that was the same - but solid ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    It could probably be done, but not easily. It's quite a complex circuit by valve amp standards.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Alfi27Alfi27 Frets: 52
    edited April 2019
    It is a complex circuit, if you're planning to do it on a turret board the board will be massive. You could possibly do a hybrid board like Friedman does where the components are soldered to turrets, but the connections between the turrets are traces like a PCB. Not sure if that would be easier, or even beneficial over a well laid out PCB in this case though. You could also free up some space by fitting filter can capacitors on top of the chassis. 

Unless you're dead set on a DSL, I could send you schematics for the Friedman BE-100 and BE-50 Deluxe (and some others as well) if you're interested. Particularly the clean channel on the BE-50 DLX is absolutely gorgeous, much better than the DSL imo. 

• NerineNerine Frets: 2186
    Will certainly agree and say that that DSL, reported reliability issues aside, is probably the most recent Marshall that still sounds good. 
    Nerine said:
    Will certainly agree and say that that DSL, reported reliability issues aside, is probably the most recent Marshall that still sounds good. 
    I’ve never thought they sound good either, but each to their own...

For me the last ‘modern’ Marshall (discounting vintage reissues) that sounds good is the JCM900 SL-X.

The new 20W models seem to sound good too... (More to follow!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FenderishFenderish Frets: 47
    I think Nerine was referring to the very last DSLs which are not bad at all, but the topic was about the 99-2000ish DSLs which are turds in term of reliability and not very good tonewise
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Alfi27 said:

, I could send you schematics for the Friedman BE-100 and BE-50 Deluxe (and some others as well) if you're interested. Particularly the clean channel on the BE-50 DLX is absolutely gorgeous, much better than the DSL imo. 

I'd be interested in seeing them, just from a nerdy interest point.
  • FenderishFenderish Frets: 47
    and for the topic question, if you really like it, you need to check (I don't remember how but there was a way) the model of the pcbs you have to retain the ones that won't have the pcb-continuity issue and from there you can, if you're good with a soldering iron (pcb tracks are fragile when desoldering), put better components but it's not sure you'll hear a noticeable difference just by changing caps/resistors...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27194
    I've often wondered the same thing about the Laney VC15. Lovely sounding amp but very obviously built to a price, and with an almost completely useless parallel FX loop

I'm fairly sure certain that amp, built really well and with decent 12" speaker would be amazing.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Even the later PCBs have issues, just not as bad as the earlier ones. There are also many other problem areas, and some of the worst components - the pots - can't be upgraded because they require a specific board footprint.